Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Legacy how to combine/split family files?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legacy how to combine/split family files?

Is it possible to combine all my family files into one big database, and if so how please? I'm just updating to v7.0 standard. and would it be possible to split one family file into two?

Hi Linda,

Yes it is possible to combine files in Legacy. Open one of the files, then import the others, one at a time. If you have any duplicates, i.e., the same person in more than one of the files, you can merge them.

This can be a pretty messy procedure though, especially if you have a lot of duplicates. But if the files are not huge and you have the patience, it can be done. It might be an idea to tag the individuals in the files being imported so that they are easier to identify after they are imported.

I think the important thing about combining files is to FIRST AND MOST IMPORTANT take a backup of the base file (the one you will import into). After each import, merge where necessary, verify, verify, verify, and take another backup.

I have never tried splitting a family file so not sure about that. Maybe tag all individuals '1' for one file, and all others '2'; then export the 1's to one file and the 2's to another. Doesn't actually split the original file, just makes two new ones.

Hope this helps.

Lynda

Comment

Working...
    X