Mabel Hawkins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mabel Hawkins

Is shown as aged 9 on the 1911 census, born Grays Essex.

This appears to correspond with Mabel Victoria Hawkins registered March 1901 in Orsett, which covers Grays, Thurrock.

Her mother should be Mary Jane Elizabeth Hawkins (nee Darling).

Can anyone find a baby in or born Grays/Thurrock in 1901 - with a mother Mary/Jane/Elizabeth?

Previous attempts to find the mother have failed, so I do wonder whether she is using another surname or lyging about birthplace (Portsmouth) or dob (1878)

Any suggestions gratefully received.
    Phoenix - with charred feathers
    Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Her mother should be Mary Jane Elizabeth Hawkins (nee Darling).

Can you tell us where the above info came from and any other details from the 1911 census? Were there any other older children listed?
    Moggie

Comment

Do you know when mother married - are we expecting to find her as Hawkins as well - if so what was her husband's name?
      Elaine

Comment

Father William George Hawkins is at home with his parents in Portsmouth in 1901. He is aged 27 and shown as married.
        The couple married in Portsmouth: William George Hawkins & Mary Jane Darling June 1897

The family story was that Mabel's mother turned up in Portsmouth with Mabel and two small boys in tow and dumped them on Mabels' grandmother, Emma Hawkins. Emma subsequently brought Mabel up.

This tallies with the 1911 census, which showed Mabel in her paternal grandparents' home.

I've found a Walter James D Hawkins born in Orsett in 1902, and although I didn't get the 1911 image, this appears to tally with a Walter Jones (sic) aged 9 son of William Hawkins in Portsmouth in 1911.

Mary Jane lost her father at an early age, her mother remarried and then died herself. Her husband William was supposed to have connections with the stage, which makes me wonder whether Mary was some sort of theatrical, possibly using a stage name.

There is a Mary Jane Hawkins aged 22 in West Ham, born Portsmouth, but I can't work out from the 1901 site who she might be with.
        Researching Skillings from Norfolk, Sworn from Salisbury and Adams in Malborough, Devon.

Comment

The Mary Jane Hawkins living in West Ham was single and the daughter of Rececca Hawkins,widow born in Ireland.
          Moggie

Comment

Are these 2 boys later children of William and Mary Jane?
            Moggie

George H Hawkins Sep qtr 1913 Newbury mmn Darling
            Frederick W Hawkins Sep qtr 1914 Newbury mmn Darling

Comment

There was a Henry Hawkins who married a Darling in Newbury in 1910 and I think those you have found are sadly children of that marriage, Moggie. Thank you for looking for looking at Mary Jane, though.

I think I am going to have to get Mabel's birth certificate.

Comment

Can't see anything obvious in the 1901 at the moment.
                Elaine

Comment

Working...
                X