igi and scotland's people

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• igi and scotland's people

im wondering at the coverage of these two sites. i have a few scottish families in my bloodline, one set doesn't appear in any records except one baptism, not even the scottish census.
    the other major one appears in the census, but no other british records, though the family is well documented here in australia.

ok, so i heard on a forum here, that scotland's people only have church of scotland baptisms, marriages, etc. is that true?
    because the family i have in the census isn't showing for scottish parish records when they should. i should be able to find these records, and i can't. so either they were non cons, they didnt register the vital events(unlikely), or the records simply dont exist anymore.

i cant find the family on the igi, or scotland's people. what's annoying is i know the birthdate of my ancestor, as she must have told the family, but i can't find a record, and her age is always a year or two off what the publications say. can anyone give me some insight?

IGI coverage for Scotland seems to be quite good, though pre-registration (1855) it only seems to have taken the Church of Scotland Old Parochial Records (OPRs), so it simply duplicates ScotlandsPeople. I found my g-g-grandparents' marriage in the OPRs and the IGI but their children's baptisms in the date range 1825 to 1850 are nowhere to be seen. I can only assume they were baptised in a Free Church whose records have gone astray, because a kind person did search for me at NAS in Edinburgh among the Free Church baps.

Fortunately that part of my tree is well-populated with ministers, so I got quite a lot of leads from the Fasti. And one of my ancestors was quite wealthy and left a 30+ page will, which was excellent value for £5.
    Last edited by Uncle John; 01-01-09, 12:30.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

There may be some records in the BVRI which are not in the IGI. If you give me some names,dates etc I can look these up for you on my CDs. These records are now on Ancestry and FMP so you may already have looked at these for yourself.
      Moggie

Comment

kyle

When you say the records are not on the IGI, have you looked under the library tab on familysearch?

They may not have been transcribed, but be available on film to view at your nearest LDS family history centre.

The IGI only has a tiny proportion of transcribed events, compared to the films they hold.

OC

Comment

im thinking the records i want don't exist, the kids might, but i doubt i'll find parents. the family immigrated in 1853.

thankyou for the offer moggie, dates are rough estimates, and they are kids of farquhar matheson and isabella, and his other wife mary.they were born around craig or lochalsh.
          isabella's child was farquhar matheson born around 1820.he married grace mckenzie in plockton, 1848.
          mary's kids were- isabella, born 21 oct 1837, murdoch, b.1849, mary, b.1843,
          rebecca, b.11 jul 1845, christina, b.1849, and donald, b.1850.

some of these names to a farquhar and mary appear in the igi, but i can't be sure.

thanx, oc, ill check out what they have.

Comment

how can i tell from the notes if the records are on the igi?

Comment

Hi Kyle
              No records in the BVRI for any of the children, sorry.
              Moggie

Comment

hey moggie, thank you for looking.

Comment

Sorry Kyle I didn't explain myself properly. I meant that the church/parish you are interested in may not have been transcribed by the LDS, but they nevertheless have a film of the register/s.

To find out, go to Library tab on familysearch and put in a place name. That will tell you what records they hold for that place and whether they have filmed the churches etc.

OC

Comment

yeah oc, i checked out lochalsh, there should be records of births and marriages from 1790 till 1854, which means my ancestors should be on there.
                    i guess ill have to see the microfiche as suggested.

Comment

Some points of reference.

Originally posted by kylejustin View Post
                      im thinking the records i want don't exist, the kids might, but i doubt i'll find parents. the family immigrated in 1853.

thankyou for the offer moggie, dates are rough estimates, and they are kids of farquhar matheson and isabella, and his other wife mary.they were born around craig or lochalsh.
                      isabella's child was farquhar matheson born around 1820.he married grace mckenzie in plockton, 1848.
                      mary's kids were- isabella, born 21 oct 1837, murdoch, b.1849, mary, b.1843,
                      rebecca, b.11 jul 1845, christina, b.1849, and donald, b.1850.

some of these names to a farquhar and mary appear in the igi, but i can't be sure.

thanx, oc, ill check out what they have.
                      Try these links, I think they might provide a little more info...

And

Hope thi helps.
                      Last edited by jking07; 28-02-11, 10:53.

Comment

Working...
                      X