Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where should I put my tree?

Polite suggestions only please :D

I have decided to cancel my subscription to Ancestry because it is so expensive and because I can access World Ancestry from the library close to my place of work.

The thing I will miss about it is my tree, which I only have on Ancestry, on FTF and a skeleton one on GR.

Where else should I put it please ?
    Joan died in July 2020.

Have you thought about Tribal Pages? I don´t use it personally but quite a few members do.

There is also a tree building facility on Findmypast - again I don´t use it but might be worth looking at.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine - I'll look at those two -

What I liked about the Ancestry one was its search facility.
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I think you can still leave your tree on Ancestry even if you don´t subscribe.
        Elaine

Comment

Yes you can have a tree on Ancestry without paying a subscription and update and use it like you always have done with a subscription.

Not having a subscription just means you won't be able to access any records you can still search though.

Comment

Thanks Elaine and Maggie - that would solve the problem!

I did try accessing my tree from the library yesterday, but could not find it!! - I assumed that this was because I was logged in as the library rather than as myself - I'll have another try tomorrow
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

But you can log in at home and use and modify your tree as usual. Search for records at home and then take note and then look the records up at the library.

The only problem is attaching source records from the Ancestry records I would have thought.

Comment

Thanks Maggie - will I still be able to log in if I have cancelled my subscription?
                Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by Muggins in Sussex View Post
                  Thanks Maggie - will I still be able to log in if I have cancelled my subscription?
                  Well I did. When I first signed up to Ancestry I didn't take a subscription and built my tree it was only after 6 months when I decided that I'd sorted out all the stuff I had that I then decided to take out a subscription. I don't think they've changed it.

Comment

Thanks, Maggie
                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

i signed up free, and didn't have a subscription. i found all the census i needed, flitting between 1901 and ancestry. then i did the 14 day credit trial
                      and ended up using a friends subscription. but even though i havn't used my login for months, yesterday i added a branch to my tree.

so, if you don't renew, it doesnt matter, you can always access your tree. you would have trouble attaching records, and maybe looking at other trees. but you can look up trees at the library, yes?

Comment

Thanks for that, Kylejustin
                        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Tribalpages is brilliant Joan and free unless you want to upgrade ????

Comment

I haven't read all the replies properly, but are all your trees online?

Comment

Thanks Val,

Yes they are, Merry!
                              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

If I were you I would also use something like FTM as well - that way you have complete control over your tree - I was reading a blog from a defunct website the other day (not family history) where all these people had lost all the stuff they had added to the site. Some people had been adding stuff for years and the whole lot was lost when the site closed without warning

Comment

Get a free download of Legacy and keep it on your computer. :p use tribal pages as an online back up and because it's pretty and easy to use too. :D

Comment

Thanks Merry - that seems sensible advice.

I sometimes think I could just remember it as it's so small :D - but of course, I couldn't :D
                                    Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Joan,

I have been musing with this

Create a Free website, Flash website builder & Flash MySpace Layouts

It looks very user friendly, and rather than rely on some defined layout I gather you can do this any way you want to!
                                      Julie
                                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Yes its a good idea to have a copy on your PC with regular back ups. Its nice to have a working one online as well.

There are some good free ones to download for the PC - talked about before.

But failing that always and especially every time you change/update export a gedcom and keep a backup of that and any data associated with it. You can load gedcoms into most FT programs.

Comment

Working...
                                        X