Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robotham family

Hello there.

I have only been researching my family tree for a couple of weeks now but it seems I have managed to get as far back as 1841. I was wondering if anyone can fill in the gaps for me?

My Grandfather Brian Robotham b. 1936 in Derby was son to Harold Robotham(b.1899) and Elsie Ault (b. 1905) (I have no death dates)

My Great Grandfather Harold Robotham was son to George Robotham (b. 1871) and Frances Selina Stroud (b.1870). Harold's siblings were Caesar Robotham (d.1918), Beatrice Robotham (b. 1893), and Frances Robotham.

My Great Great Grandfather George Robotham was son to Enoch Robotham (or Enock Ruebottom b. 1841). He was married to Alice West but I don't believe she was George's mother.

If anyone had any information regarding any of the above it will be gratefully received!

Thanks

Do you have any certificates to back up your findings so far? You need to be sure before you try to do too much.

Comment

Hello Eponine and welcome to FTF.

Margaret is right, you really do need to get certificates to prove what you have so far found, otherwise you risk going spectacularly wrong.

I take it the information you have so far is from census returns? Remember these show only what was happening on one night every ten years and cannot be relied on for accuracy for a number of reasons, and certainly never shows the little subtleties of family relationships, or their secrets!

If you need help finding, identifying and ordering certificates, please ask and we will gladly help you. Each certificate will cost £7 unfortunately, but there is really no other safe way of ensuring you have an accurate tree.

OC

Comment

Hi Margaret and OC, Eponine contacted me today from Tribal pages, as she had seen me mention a Frances Selina Stroud baptism on here.

I have George Robotham and Frances Strouds marriage cert 1891 they are my late OHs great grandparents, my OH was decended from Beatrice Robotham, sister of Harold.

I am having trouble finding them before 1881

Source Citation: Class: RG11; Piece: 3401; Folio: 82; Page: 7; Line: ; GSU roll: 1341813.

Enock Ruebottom 40 Stone mason b. Hollington Staffs
        Alice 30 wife b. sudbury Derbys
        Enoch 16 son b. Hollington
        George 10 son b. Hollington
        William Ernest 8 months son b. Derby

and i can`t find a earlier marriage for Enock/Enoch, the place of birth on the census keeps changing too, but always Staffordshire.

If any one can find a birth for George abt 1871 or the family before 1881 please, we would be gratefull

Sylvia
        Sylvia

Derbyshire :- Gough, Tomlinson, Fletcher, Shipley, Spencer, Calladine, Rogers, Kerry, Robotham
        Leicestershire:- Gough, Cooper, Underwood, Hearn, Inglehearn
        Staffordshire:- Robotham, Hickinbotham, Hill, Holmes

Comment

Possible marriage

Marriages Sep 1876
          Rubotham Enoch
          West Alice
          Derby 7b 641
          Elaine

Comment

I am really struggling to find anything pre 1881 apart from that marriage reference.
            Elaine

Comment

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I haven't got any certificates yet but I know a lot of information is accurate from speaking to family members who have backed up the research I have done. That and I got in touch with Sylvia who was incredibly helpful!
              I just need George's birth certificate if that is possible! As Sylvia says we would be incredibly grateful for any info!

Comment

Rubotham/staffordshire info seems thin on the ground full stop!
                Jess

Comment

I've gone through all the names for Hollington, Derbys in 1871 and nothing remotely like Robotham shows up. But there are no Ro* anythings and I would have thought there would have been a Roberts or Robinson.
                  ~ with love from Little Nell~
                  Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

IGI seems to be having a strop - was going to have a look on there but its not playing at all
                    Jess

Comment

From the IGI:

Enoch Rubotham aged 36
                      to Alice West (aged 24)
                      9 July 1876 St Andrew Derby.

The only even remotely matching baptism for Enoch

29 Jan 1837 St Michael Ashton under Lyne, parents Jonas and Ann
                      (sibs James 1832, Hannah 1835)

All extracted records.

Perhaps Enoch knocked a few years off his age?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                        From the IGI:
                        The only even remotely matching baptism for Enoch
                        29 Jan 1837 St Michael Ashton under Lyne, parents Jonas and Ann
                        (sibs James 1832, Hannah 1835)
                        Perhaps Enoch knocked a few years off his age?
                        OC
                        RG9; Piece: 2992; Folio: 81; Page: 45
                        1861 census shows an Enoch Rowbottom born c1837 Hyde Cheshire, parents Jonas and Ann.

I don´t think he is the one we are looking for as I can see him in 1881 living in Cheshire and married to Elizabeth.
                        RG11; Piece: 4049; Folio: 44; Page: 3
                        Elaine

Comment

1871 census Enoch on his own but married ref below. We now need to find his wife living on her own with son George.
                          Moggie

RG10/2894/59/2

Comment

Various spellings - Rowton, Roughton, Robotham.

Saw the one in 71, married but away from home, stone mason.

OC

Comment

Alice is a housemaid in London in 1871, unmarried, and mistranscribed as Rumsey:

Class: RG10; Piece: 164; Folio: 58; Page: 38

Enoch's boarding in Newborough, Staffs with a family called Clarke. He's shown as "mar" in the relationship column, but his entry's been messed up, so that may be a mistake.

Class: RG10; Piece: 2894; Folio: 59; Page: 2
                              Last edited by Mary from Italy; 31-12-08, 16:49.

Comment

Births Dec 1842
                                RUBOTHAM Enoch Wolstanton &c. 17 261

Comment

Possible birth for George:

Births Jun 1870
                                  Ruebotham George Stourbridge 6c 204

Comment

1861 POSSIBILITY?

RG9 1924 F85 13

Enoch Robotham

He is a coal miner, but not too far a jump to stone mason? Also, his father was born in ROCESTER, which is where Enoch says he was born in 1871.

OC

Comment

clutching at straws here.

dont have full acess to ancestry ATM

can somone have a squint at Enoch Roughton name abt 1840 Res Staffordshire
                                      (in 1851 )
                                      Jess

Comment

From West Midlands BMD:

West Midlands Birth indexes for the years: 1870

Surname / Forename(s) / Sub-District / Registers At
                                        RUEBOTHAM / George / Kingswinford / Dudley Register Office

Comment

Working...
                                        X