Help with Names on birth cert please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Names on birth cert please

I have acquired a birth cert for my great grandfather who was born in 1860. Under the mother's name section it states "Mary Barker late Chadwick formerly Richardson"
    This has confused me! I take it one of the surnames is to a former marriage and if so which would be her true maiden name? What's the diference between late and former in this instance??
    Thanks for any replies..
    OLD SALIAN

Researching:
    Barker - Hale, Cheshire/Leeds
    Greatorex - Winster, Derbys
    Rudd - Richard's Castle, Herefordshire
    Oakes - Liverpool
    Ormerod/Stott/Crabtree - Oldham/Rochdale

i beleive it means her maiden name was Richardson, she then married and was widowed by Mt Chadwick
    My avatar is my GGGF JJJW Hummerston
    Researching HUMMERSTON in LONDON...DAVIES in MONMOUTH....SHIRLOW/SHERLOW and MILLAR in BELFAST....MILLAR and MCGRATH in ADELAIDE SA

Comment

I hadn't considered that - I thought it was the other way round - thanks!
      OLD SALIAN

Researching:
      Oakes - Liverpool

Comment

Chadwick was her first married name, Richardson was her maiden name :D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

I agree with everyone else!

I know a lot of people have trouble with which way round the names are......if you think of the "late" name belonging to the late husband, that can help.

Comment

Thanks all - it makes sense now!
            OLD SALIAN

Researching:
            Oakes - Liverpool

Comment

... or if you add "ly" on the end:

lately / formerly

I think that should have the feel that the most recent is "lately" and before that was "formerly"

Christine
              Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

When Civil Registration was set up in 1837, the only way a marriage could end was for one spouse to die.

Divorce was rare and the preserve of the rich,so no special provision was made for entering it, and you SHOULD see "the divorced wife/husband of" in the rare, early cases where divorce ended a marriage.

"Late" was the term to indicate that the previous marriage had ended in the death of the former spouse.

OC

Comment

Working...
                X