FMP and 1911 help please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMP and 1911 help please?

Does anyone know please whether the most expensive package on FMP is going to cover the 1911 census when it becomes available or whether we shall still need to buy credits?
    Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

It looks like it will be included Chrissie (well I hope so as I just paid for the full subscription)
    This was in an email from FMP that arrived last week .. telling me 'why' I should take advantage of a 15% discount on a new subscription

Why join now? 2009 is going to be a big year!

2009 will see us finish our new versions of the last two England & Wales censuses (1851, 1901), add images to the 1881 census, and most importantly, will see us add the brand-new 1911 census later in the year.

We will be the only website to include the 1911 census next year, meaning findmypast.com will be the only place to find the complete censuses 1841-1911

Chelle

Comment

On the FMP site it says it will be PayAsYouGo only to start with then available by subscription later - have a look on the site under the Census tab at the bottom on the left "find out more about the 1911 Census".

Ice

Comment

I have also just bought into the Explorer part of FMP but I am not holding my breath, thinking that the 1911 Census is going to be part of the package. In fact, I am almost certain that we will ALL have to BUY credits for the 1911 Census, at least for the first year, until the main thrust has died down. Whether or not we get a discount, as we have subs to FMP is a different matter, but even with that I am doubtful initially. That may come later.

I shall just be grateful that we do not have the same fall from grace with the 1911 as was experienced when the 1901 first came out, and don't I remember that well!! My son in law, with no interest in FH, managed to get on the first day at work, but I, who had been waiting with a great deal of expectancy for a couple of years, was unable to get on at all for almost a year!!

The following sentence has been lifted from the FMP website regarding the 1911 Census.

"Please note: our subscription vouchers will not initially provide access to the 1911 census. When ordering, if it's the 1911 census you want, then please ensure you select one of our PayAsYouGo vouchers."

Janet
        Last edited by Janet; 30-12-08, 10:49.

Comment

Thanks Chelle and Ice. I had read some of that but wasn't convinced that the full package was going to cover it straight away. I have been toying with the 15% discount for the full package but I think maybe I will wait until it's available through that package. Otherwise I may be paying for most of the year when I can't use it for 1911.

Thanks for that too Janet

Comment

I can't recall the cost of viewing the originals when the 1901 came out but 30 credits for the original of the 1911 and 10 credits for the transcript, with slightly less information on it, seems a bit steep, especially if you already have a subscription. That gives you just 9 originals for the £24.95 bundle of credits.

But expect there will be a big rush to search which will test the site out!

Ice

Comment

The cost of the 1901 was very reasonable, about 10 pence per page which you bought into with a minimum of £5 vouchers. I remember when I eventually got on to the site the £5 voucher saw me through many census pages, but you did have to use up the voucher quickly within 24/36 hours or you lost the rest of the money and I did lose a few pounds that way!

Janet

Comment

I'm wondering now whether I would be better to buy some credits. The £24.95 ones last for a year but I wonder if they will be usable on 1911?

Comment

The credits should be fine for the 1911 when it appears. Whether to take out a subscription now or use credits for odd look ups depends on what else you want on FMP I think.

I am considering taking up the 15% off offer as I like the site - just need to make up my mind!

Ice

Comment

From the "Buy Credits" section -

Choose PayAsYouGo credits package - Step 1 of 3
                    purchase page content
                    You need 10 credits.
                    £6.95 - 60 credits - £0.12 per credit expire 30 March 2009
                    £24.95 - 280 credits - £0.09 per credit expire 30 December 2009
                    £49.95 - 600 credits - £0.08 per credit expire 30 December 2009

which to me would indicate that it will not be part of the general FMP site until at least Jan 2010 - don't know if anyone else sees it that way??
                    There is no absolute truth - and no final answer.

Comment

I'm the same Ice but I have only recently renewed Ancestry, so they would be running side by side. I sometimes take out credits on FMP because looking up BMD's is so much easier. Having said that though, I couldn't get the proper viewer to load last time I had a few credits left.

Comment

On the 1911 Beta site which has been on trial it does say that any left over credits can also be used on their 'sister' site, FMP and I am pretty sure that people using the Beta trial have been spending credits that they already had in hand.

Ice.

Comment

A sub to FMP would make good sense for me as I use Ancestry free in the library, so I would have FMP at home (which is where you really want to do things at leisure) and just visit the library for a few other bits! I think I should go for it.

Ice

Comment

I agree Ice but if you mainly want it for 1911 maybe it would be better to wait until 1911 is available on the package?

Comment

Yes I thought about that but although I don't use the other census much for my own stuff I do help a few relatives etc., and make quite a bit of use of later BMD's which haven't yet got onto FreeBMD.

Apart from buying certificates, endless paper and printer ink, I have spent very little in over 20 years so I think I will treat myself.

Ice

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissie Smiff View Post
                                I agree Ice but if you mainly want it for 1911 maybe it would be better to wait until 1911 is available on the package?

Chris,

I am in exactly the same Dilemma! my ancestry sub has lapsed and I was thinking of using the 15% discount for a FMP sub, BUT having spent last night getting my head around thier search facility, I really don't think I'll bother, It seems very cumbersome in comparision to Ancestry and I can't get it to do what I want it to... maybe its just me, dunno,

I think its a case of better the devil you know, and when the 1911 does come online then I will just PAYG.

I wonder why NONE of these subscription sites offer a pick and mix? I for one would love to be able to pick which bits of Ancestry I want to sub to
                                and not just the bits that they say I have to sub to...

nuff said!!
                                Julie
                                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Sounds a good idea Ice - good luck and enjoy

Comment

Didn't get to join FMP - when I entered the offer code, which I carefully checked was correct, I got the message "This promotional code does not exist".

I have sent them an email but have had no reply at present.

Ice

Comment

Ice,
                                      the 15% offer finished on Jan 2nd.
                                      ~ Louise ~

Researching Dalzell, Highmore & Sumpton in Cumbria, also Braidford & Chevalier

Comment

Yes, it was the evening of 2nd January when I tried to subscribe. The offer ended at midnight.

Well I can always spend the money on the 1911 when it comes online pemanently.

Ice

Comment

Working...
                                        X