Any more info?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any more info?

Below is a postcard of a building in Siverdale Road, Wolstanton, Staffordshire. It was sent to my great gran by her aunt who I'm trying to trace. I've looked on MSN maps birdseye view of the road but there seems to be a lot of new builds there so I dont think it's around any more.

If I could find a date for the postcard, when the building was demolished or any other info about it it might help my search.

Cheers

The lettering just says Silverdale Rd and there is what appears to be a fat white cross on the door.

Hail Spode!

This building really reminds me of a convent/residence attached to a private school etc.,..more so than a standard residential home
    Its very similar in style to one attached to the girls college I attended in an older area of Sydney.
    A quick search of google shows the catholic church had a convent in silverdale rd in 1937.. possibly the church owned the building prior to that? (unfortunately I couldnt find a photo to go with the write up to see if it matched your photo)
    The other thing which caught my eye is it appears to be some sort of writing to the right of the top window on the left.. not decoration.. it distorted too much when I tried to magnify it..
    Might be worth doing some reading on local institutions,churches,schools??

Comment

I tried to make the writing more readable too Dana without success - see below. I have PM's Guy with the details of a house rental company trading at Silverdale Road. I thought maybe they would be able to help him if he e-mailed the photo to them.

Chrissie passed away in January 2020.

Comment

Are you sure it's only one building, I live near houses like that and in fact there are a number of houses all attached.

Comment

the place is other side of newcasle(wolstanton)have you tried google earth and se if it comes up? brenda xxx

Comment

Thanks for the replies and the PM. I dont know whether it's one building or a terrace. I wondered if it was a hospital or doctors as there appears to be a cross on the door. The writing on the front of the building says Silverdale Rd which is where I got Silverdale road from. The family lived in Wolstanton and as there's only about 4 Silverdale Roads in the country, one of which is in Wolstanton, I put two and two together.

The idea of the convent sounds good as there might be records somewhere. I'll contact that agent Chrissie PMed and see what they say.

Cheers
            Hail Spode!

Comment

I honestly think it's a block of houses..........

Comment

Guy, Have put into google...convents in silverdale road, staffordshire...

Third one down says....HEADING SAYS...

Newcastle-under-lyme-Roman Catholicism and Prodestant....

From "A History of the County of Stafford Volume 8"...page 54-64...
                St Josephs Convent in Silverdale Rd Wolstanton, also a house of the Sisters of ......
                Have a look
                EDI

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post
                  Below is a postcard of a building in Siverdale Road, Wolstanton, Staffordshire. It was sent to my great gran by her aunt who I'm trying to trace. I've looked on MSN maps birdseye view of the road but there seems to be a lot of new builds there so I dont think it's around any more.

If I could find a date for the postcard, when the building was demolished or any other info about it it might help my search.

Cheers

The lettering just says Silverdale Rd and there is what appears to be a fat white cross on the door.

Guy,

Have a look here,

Newcastle-under-Lyme - Roman Catholicism and Protestant Nonconformity | British History Online

scroll down and have a read (after you have clicked on the link)
                  Julie
                  They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Certainly looks promicing. I wonder if they were separate houses connected with the convent. Having had a second (well hundredth) look, it does look like three separate houses in a row. They must have been worth making into a postcard though.
                    Hail Spode!

Comment

Old post this - but are you still searching for the building? I live just around the corner. It is still standing but very much altered.

Comment

Hi Staffsuk,

Try sending Guybrush a PM he might not look on here again

Linda

Comment

Working...
                        X