LDS Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LDS Query

If the following is at the bottom of a birth record does t mean it can be trusted as correct?

Family group record submitted by a member of the LDS Church. The record includes some persons who were alive and some who were deceased at the time of submission. The film cannot be sent to family history centers and has limited access at the Family History Library.

Thanks in advance.
    Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

It is a SUBMITTED record and can be anything from 100% accurate to complete and utter fantasy. There's no way of telling, other than by checking for yourself what they say.

OC

Comment

OC's reply seems succinct - and in line with my experience. Any IGI transcription/record should be double-checked before you consider relying on it. For submissions, that's even more true.

There's an article somewhere which explains the background to the IGI. Once you understand why it's there (not for genealogy), you can understand why it may not be reliable for genealogy.

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thanks OC and Christine
        Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Pic'n'mix, Lynne I have some submitted entries that have been pure fantasy and some that turn out to be 100% reliable. Even extracted information should be checked - spellings and dates can be misrecorded.

An example of a dubious record was a marriage I found for gt gt gt grandparents date given "abt Apr 1794" which seemed a bit vague.

When I got to check the actual marriage registers they were completely illegible. But the banns book showed that the banns had been called once in March and twice in April, so logically the marriage probably took place the following week but the submitter hadn't assumed a specific date, but was a bit more certain about the month.
          ~ with love from Little Nell~
          Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
          X