Can you help me find Sarah Collings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you help me find Sarah Collings?

Change of focus here... I'm looking for my 2 x great grandmother Sarah Collings. According to the 1871 and onwards censuses, she was born around 1850/51 in Southwark; she married Henry Ellis in Lambeth Q4 1868 with the first child born in around 1869 (from census ages). A scrap of paper in my folder states that Sarah's family came from Ireland but I've been unable to find a possible birth for her that doesn't make her too old for the census ages or too young to marry and have a child in 1868/9, nor can I find her in the 1861, the only census at which she'd have been at home with parents... In particular, can someone who's more au fait with the searches, can anyone find her in 1861? TIA

If Sarah was born in Ireland, she may not have come to England in time to be in th 1861 census, or do you have evidence to suggest the family had arrived before then ? Have you checked out her parents and siblings for marriages or births of children ? Sometimes by checking if a brother or sister married, or parents had more children, its possible to narrow down a time frame.

I have been able to do this with my Irish ancestors in Manchester, but even knowing about when they arrived does not help much, because I have no idea from which part of Ireland they came, and with names like Arnold, Clarke and Fitzpatrick, and no clear birthdates, its going to be really difficult. Maybe Collings might be a bit easier to find in Ireland.
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Do you have Sarah´s marriage certificate -it would be useful to know her father´s name and occupation.
      Elaine

Comment

There are a couple of possibles in 1861

RG9; Piece: 314; Folio: 106; Page: 54
        Sarah Collins born c 1851 Southwark, parents Dennis and Betsey

RG9; Piece: 328; Folio: 47; Page: 30
        Sarah Collins born c 1851 Southwark, parents Thomas and Sarah

You need her marriage certificate!
        Elaine

Comment

You're right, I think I need that cert, but I only found the marriage today! I had assumed that she'd have been born in Ireland, but maybe it was her parents. Not having found her on the 1861 yet, I've no idea about siblings

Comment

Working...
          X