How reliable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How reliable

HI was just ahving a rummage around and found some interesting bits and peices but some of it is on familysearch pedigree resource files was just wondering how reliable this information is likely to be? I know we can't trust anything 100% but would you trust it?
    Jen

Pedigree Rresource files contain submitted data and therefore needs to be checked.
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine i thought that would be said. Oh well at least it gives me a rough idea oh what it could be to jot on paper lol.
      Jen

Comment

If a pedigree file gives definite names, dates and places, it is worth checking out. If it doesn't I wouldn't waste my time even checking it.

There is a pedigree file on there which has my 3 x GGM on it. She had 45 children, married her own son 6 years before he was born, and had her last child at age 69, five years after she had died.

OC

Comment

What a woman!
          Hail Spode!

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
            There is a pedigree file on there which has my 3 x GGM on it. She had 45 children, married her own son 6 years before he was born, and had her last child at age 69, five years after she had died.
            If it was anyone else's ancestor, I'd dismiss this pedigree as poppycock. But in OC's case ... well, nothing would surprise me! :D

Tim
            "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

Tim

LOL!

This wonderful woman nipped off to Utah on the Mormon Trek and managed to marry not once, but twice, in six months, (polygamy, hey?) once to an ancestor of Elvis Presley. She gave birth to two, or maybe three children while on this trek.

Meanwhile, she flew back to Lancashire unnoticed, gave birth to two children three days apart and had one baptised in one parish and the other in another, 12 miles away, got back on her broomstick and arrived back in Utah just in time to give birth to yet another child, three weeks after the others.

She died TWICE, admittedly the same day, but once in Lancs and once in Utah, well, she'd have to really, wouldn't she, as she was leading parallel lives.

I'm really rather proud of her, despite her little irregularity in marrying her own unborn son. After all, special people have special rules, don't they.

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                If a pedigree file gives definite names, dates and places, it is worth checking out. If it doesn't I wouldn't waste my time even checking it.

OC
                is it possible she had a twin with the same name?

lol

Comment

I was going to write something about not being able to trust those submitted files - having found a load of old poppycock regarding my own family history - but having just read OC's story, I won't even bother. THAT family tale says it all. LOL!!!!
                  Karen x

Comment

IGI Records

In defence of submitted records, I would like to add that they were submitted in good faith...................they have been helpful to me in my searches and proved to be a good starting point for many family members.
                    Like all searches they require confirmation from other sources. I'm sure there are mistakes and inaccuracies but who hasnt gone down the wrong track cursing as you delete incorrect family names?

Comment

My OH submitted a file when he started his tree. We now know some of the info is wrong, but you can't "un-submit" the info, so it's there for ever. What's worse is, he hasn't submitted another file with the correct info, so there's only the one lot for people to see!

Comment

AlanC

Yes, I've followed many a long and winding trail down a wrong alley and had to back out, shedding names as I go - but 45 children??? I am struggling with the concept of good faith here.

But yes, there ARE some helpful and accurate submissions. The big problem is that you can never tell the trash from the treasure, without checking every fact, just as you need to do with any other received information, no matter where it comes from.

OC

Comment

Oc,
                          Spoken like a Trooper !
                          If researching was easy, it wouldn't be nearly so interesting..............all we would have to do is push a few buttons.
                          Be lucky

Comment

OC
                            ROFLMAO at your 3 x ggrandmother. Wish I had someone even half as interesting as her - LOL!!
                            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Lynne

It would be interesting if it were true! In fact, she stayed sedately at home in a small village all her life and produced eight children, nicely spaced and all baptised in the same place.

OC

Comment

Thanks. Love the story and i'm sure having that many kids was just like a breeze lol. All the information has dates and disc numbers (if that means anything to you all) I have written it down so that i can see when i get my millions and order the certificates to see how correct it is. I never realised we could submit anything to them not that i would have a lot of proven stuff to submit unlike others but what bit i do have proven i am proud of lol.
                                Jen

Comment

Originally posted by jennie View Post
                                  I never realised we could submit anything to them not that i would have a lot of proven stuff to submit unlike others but what bit i do have proven i am proud of lol.
                                  As was said at the start of the thread, you have to remember that the prime purpose of the IGI and the other familysearch databases is religious, not genealogy. Submissions are made in good faith by people who are required to present 4 generations of ancestors for posthumous baptism into the LDS faith. We know what a struggle it often is to verify this far back, so there is a big temptation to pick likely matches.
                                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Further to UJ's point, members of the Mormon faith are told that if they cannot accurately identify their ancestors, then to include ALL those who MIGHT be their ancestors - better to baptise too many than too few and thereby miss off your ancestors.

OC

Comment

Let's separate the facts from fiction.
                                      First the Pedigree Resource Files are nothing to do with the IGI, even though they are hosted on the same site.

Pedigree resource files (PRF) are patron submitted family-trees. Patrons may be members of the LDS church or they may not.
                                      I know a number of respected genealogists who have submitted their family trees to PRF.

They are as accurate as any other family tree one could find anywhere. By this I mean they are as accurate as the researcher's methods allow, some will have every entry authenticated by many sources (though these may not be shown) others will be little more than guess-work.

Treat the PRF as all other family-tree one finds as a guide and check every entry.
                                      Cheers
                                      Guy
                                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

As reliable as the person that submitted it.

If a person's address is given, it is worth trying to make contact, just in case it is bona fide. I did this once, and was sent lots of verified research.
                                        Joy

Comment

Working...
                                        X