Help with death, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with death, please?

I've been trying to sort out some families using the 1911 census and think I have found (in a very roundabout way by using 1901) a previously unknown child who was hidden due to his mother remarrying.

Only problem is I can't find a death for the father who is my connection.

Thomas Henry Fenton
    born 1865 Leeds

1871 Deptford
    1881 Holborn, Middlesex
    1891 Greenwich

married 1890 Wandsworth

Alice Phoebe Underwood born c 1870 Battersea

Alice Phebe Fenton marries Charles Walter McCabe in Sep Q 1899 in Wandsworth

On 1901 census Alice P Mc Cabe and Charles W Mc Cabe are living in Croydon with;

Gilbert A Fenton "McBabe" born c1892 in New Cross

(most likely match is a Gilbert Audrey Fenton, Jun 1892)

So - in theory Thomas Henry Fenton should die sometime between Sep 1891 and Sep 1899). I can't spot him on FreeBMD and I've done a trawl of the indexes with the same result, but I've been up since 5.30am and done a 10 hour shift at work so I may have missed it.

Can anyone spot what I'm missing?
    Zoe in London

Cio che Dio vuole, io voglio ~ What God wills, I will

forgot to say my pleases and thank yous :o:o
    Zoe in London

Comment

The only death I can find using Ancestry is -

Henry Fenton, aged 65, death registered Jan - Mar qtr 1893 in Paddington, London, ref 1a, 58.

I don't know whether this is any help.

Anne

Comment

Bit old I think Anne - but thank you for trying.

I'm going to have to leave this lot on the back burner i think as I've been through the indexes again and still can't find him
        Zoe in London

Comment

Nothing for 1898-9.

Comment

There's a Thomas Fenton death Sep 1893 Rochford, age 27, which I suppose could possibly be him. But not very likely.
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi, Zoe

Family Relatives has 3 Thomas Henry Fenton deaths - all look wrong!

1. Thomas Henry Fenton d. Dewsbury 4th q 1868 aged 0
              2. Thomas Henry Fenton d. Chorlton 4th q 1869 aged 0
              3. Thomas Henry Fenton d. Farnham 4th q 1892 aged 50

The closest I can see without the Henry is

Thomas Fenton d. Rochford 3rd q aged 27
              Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 29-12-08, 06:39.
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Ah-ha! lol

The Times Monday, Jul 24, 1899; pg. 16; Issue 35889; col A

Fetch.jpg

Comment

Also, there is a good match for Thomas in 1911, though I can't see him in 1901.

Comment

TNA - Divorce papers
                    National Archives
                    Elaine

Comment

oooooh - haven't you all been busy.

I didn't think of divorce. I was trying to work out deaths as 1911 says my 3 x great grandmother had 6 children, 3 dead.

Harry Fenton I know died in 1899

My 2 great grandfather Frederick died in 1912 and Nelly died in 1940

SO that leave 3 possibles for having died before 1911.

Kate Fenton born 1863 (last sighted in 1891, Actress, boarding in Lancashire)

Thomas Henry Fenton born 1865 (now: last sighting divorce in 1899)

Henrietta Fenton born 1875 (last sighting 1901 census in Croydon, possible marriage in 1908 in Steyning)

And I've also just noticed that the mother Kate Fenton says on the 1911 that she's a widow - so that now narrows down the time frame for when hubbie Charles died. It was previously any time from 1901 census up to 1917 when Kate died with "widow" on her death cert.

I knew I should have foregone the lie in to get my teeth into this some more
                      Zoe in London

Comment

I wondered about this one?

Deaths Sep 1925
                        FENTON Thomas H 62 Kensington 1a 114

The 1911 entry I came across was in Wandsworth, b Leeds.

Comment

Merry,

Just downloaded that. After an error with one in Kensington.

Definitely him as he's a boot salesman.

Thrown up another humdinger though - living with him is a Rignald (sic) Fenton "brother" born Nottingham c1896

I really really hate this lot. Nothing can ever be simple
                          Zoe in London

Comment

I had another death in my tree for him in the 40s - which got deleted last night when I was playing around with the dates to prove my theory. Now I'll need to find the original notebook from when I did the search

That one in 1925 could be the guy who's 1911 I just downloaded as he's a Thomas Henry from Kensington
                            Zoe in London

Comment

Originally posted by samesizedfeet View Post
                              That one in 1925 could be the guy who's 1911 I just downloaded as he's a Thomas Henry from Kensington
                              Yes, I agree.

Does Rignald look like Ronald or Roland?

Comment

Could be Reginald.
                                KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                                (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
                                  Yes, I agree.

Does Rignald look like Ronald or Roland?
                                  nope - definitely looks like Rignald.

Their relationships were originally down as Boarders and this is crossed through and then Head and Brother written in.

It's written in the same handwriting as that defining the occupations i.e. the enumerator - so there's a good chance he's just made it up. WHy he didn't assume father and son though I don't know.

They're the only people in this household although there is another record for the same address so they probably are boarding.

He could only be a brother through father Charles Fenton as Thomas' mother would have been 56 when Rignald was born. That's a possibility as Charles was a travelling actor.

'Tis a mystery. I wonder if the divorce petition filed by his wife may reveal who Rignald is and if he's anything to do with her wanting shot of hubby
                                  Zoe in London

Comment

He could only be a brother through father Charles Fenton as Thomas' mother would have been 56 when Rignald was born. That's a possibility as Charles was a travelling actor.
                                    Yes, where IS Charles in 1901 and what was his middle name? Henry??

Comment

in 1901 Charles is in Manchester as a boarder - Charles H Fanton

RG13; Piece: 3746; Folio: 43; Page: 6

telling wild fibs about his age. He's pretending he's 55 when he should be about 65 (not the worst discrepancy I've seen though)
                                      Zoe in London

Comment

I see he's quite keen on using his middle initial though there are no deaths 1901-1911 with it. I suppose if he wasn't at home when he died whoever registered the death might have missed off this useful bit of info?

There are a few plain Charles' to chose from and that Charles Enos who possibly could be eliminated?

Comment

Working...
                                        X