1911 ... is this a reasonable thesis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 ... is this a reasonable thesis?

I've called up the page for OH's g-g-parents in Devonport (Charles Harrison COCKS and Elizabeth Ann PRYNN, m 2 Feb 1881). I knew about four children, one of whom died, age 25, in 1908. However, the children numbers shown are 6-3-3... so that means that there should be two more children born and died between censuses, and in the period 1881-1911.

The four children I knew about all had two Christian names:
    1. Stanley Harrison COCKS: b 1881q4 Stoke D 5b/325
    2. Charles George COCKS: b 1883q3 Stoke D 5b-309; d 1908q3, age 25, Devonport 5b-213
    3. Leonard Percy COCKS: b 1885q3 Stoke D 5b/307, 4 Jul 1885 [Seaman 212346]
    4. Hilda Elizabeth COCKS: b Dec1890-Jan1891 [1891] 1891q1 Stoke D 5b/338

I've been looking to find the other two children. I started looking for two-name births, but found only these within the right time-frame:
    Edith Mary COCKS b 1890q4 Stoke D 5b-284 (clashes with Hilda Elizabeth, and is Grd-dtr of James & Jane COCKS [1891])
    Henrietta Georgina COCKS b 1898q3 Stoke D 5b-302 (Dtr of George & Clara Mary [1901])
    As you see, I've had to rule them both out.

That only seems to leave:
    William COCKS b 1887q3 Stoke D 5b-334; d 1887q2 sic SD 5b-231
    Ernest COCKS b 1889q2 Stoke D 5b-344; d 1889q2 SD 5b-237
    neither of which has a second given name.

I'm doing an ancestral chart, not a COCKS tree, so - however precious these little ones may have been - I don't think I can justify certs, just to find out if they are/not the right ones.

What do you think? At the moment, I'm including them as "?" entries.

Christine
    Last edited by Christine in Herts; 28-12-08, 17:27.
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

However, the children numbers shown are 6-3-3...

not sure what you mean by that. Can you explain. Is prob obvious but ......

(there is an Ethel louise dies in 1880 aged 2)
    Last edited by Jessbowbag; 28-12-08, 17:45.
    Jess

Comment

6-3-3 is the entries, alongside the mother's info, in the boxes:
      Total children born alive
      Children still living
      Children who have died

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sorry - understand now - not really looked at 1911 census much yet
        Jess

Comment

No need to apologise. I knew what I meant, but can see that it was less than clear for others. I note it like that because it doesn't take up much room that way.

Christine

Comment

Have you looked at Devonport district after 1898? (when was mum born?)

Comment

Mum's birth:
              Elizabeth Ann PRYNN
              b 20 Jun 1861, 19 Pembroke St, Stoke D, Clowance [B-cert]; 1860-3 Devonport 1861q3 Stoke D 5b-299

Comment

Just realised... I'd fallen into the District name-change trap. I'd put in Stoke Damerel 1901 ± 10, and got nothing after about 1899... than I tried putting in Devonport!

Now I have a whole set to check up on.

Will come back to you when I've had a look.
                Christine

Comment

There seem to be these two:
                  ? Alfred Edward J C b 1899q3 Devonport 5b-298; d 1899q3 D'p 5b-231
                  ? Edward James C b 1902q3 Devonport 5b-331; d 1904q1 age 1 D'p 5b-265

The second one looks very likely.

Not so sure about the first - with two middle names.

Christine

Comment

I understand where you are going with the 'two first names' idea but personally I wouldn't get fixed on it. I have several instances in my family where one or two of them only have one first name and the rest of them have two.

My own grandmother, Mildred Coleman was an example; all but one of her seven siblings had two names. (ie there were 6 with two names and 2 with one name)

Sorry if that's given you even more searching :o

Anne

Comment

Thanks, Anne. No need to apologise for encouraging me to keep an open mind!

I think I'll just have to note the probables/possibles and see if anything turns up in future to give me a clue.

Christine

Comment

Yes don't give up on the one name names. My 2g grandfather is the only one of 7 to have 1 name. As he was one of the oldest I have no idea why, they couldn't have run out of names yet. Or it could be that they couldn't find a second name they liked.
                        Kit

Comment

Working...
                        X