Registration District

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registration District

This is probably a dumb question, but I have a 1918 marriage certificate which shows the registration district as Brighton, whereas the page in the register shows the distict as Steyning.

I just wondered why they would be different
    Joan died in July 2020.

It's much the same place. Steyning is part of Brighton?

Perhaps there's a critical date thing for the names. I'd have a look on Genuki district info.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Looks like Steyning district went right up to Hove at that time which is now indistinguishable from Brighton itself (unless you come from "Hove, actually")

Steyning Registration District

Comment

Thanks Christine and Jill - I understand now
        Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I guess you got the cert from the local office?

Personally, I would say the cert has been filled out incorrectly by the local registrar. If the district was Steyning and not Brighton then that's what should be on the cert. However, I have several certs purchased from local offices with incorrect district names or incorrect sub-district names and I've never been able to establish why, as the names used seem pretty random!

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
            I guess you got the cert from the local office?

Personally, I would say the cert has been filled out incorrectly by the local registrar. If the district was Steyning and not Brighton then that's what should be on the cert. However, I have several certs purchased from local offices with incorrect district names or incorrect sub-district names and I've never been able to establish why, as the names used seem pretty random!
            Is it that the local offices use the sub-district names?

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
              Is it that the local offices use the sub-district names?

Christine
              I think sometimes they use the district and subdistrict name of today, rather than what it was at the time of the BMD.

I also have several certs from Wolverhampton District some of which say Seisdon District even though they are post 1839 when Seisdon was abolished. One says Bilston even though the marriage took place ten years before Bilston District existed!

Comment

Working...
              X