Thomas Downes, born 2 Jan 1866

married on the 16 August 1886 to:

Esther Bradbury, born 18 May 1867

They had six children in all:

Phoebe, born 27 November 1886 Registered as Downs in Lichfield
    George, born 1891 Registered as Downs in Lichfield
    Esther, born 20 October 1895 Registered as Downs in Lichfield
    Dorothy Elizabeth, born 2 March 1910 Registered as DownEs in Lichfield

I know that they had another two children who died. They were both older than Dorothy.

I have a photo of Thomas and Esther with Phoebe, George and Esther which was taken about 1900. They don't look as though they are in mourning clothes and it is very difficult to tell if she is pregnant or not.

I have narrowed it down to the two I think it might be (by cross referencing the birth and death indexes), but if anyone else would mind having a look I will then be more confident when ordering the certs (I will put in the ref checking point though!)

Thanks,

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Harriet Downs b 1889 d 1890
    Emily Evelyn Downes b & d 1902
    Doris May Downes b & d 1904

All Lichfield

Comment

These look like the possibles on FreeBMD:
      Harriet Downs died Jun 1890 age 0
      Emily Evelyn Downes died Dec 1902 age 0
      Doris May Downes died Sep 1904 age 0.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Harriet's mother's maiden name is shown as Bradbury on Staffordshire BMD for her birth reg. I thought I'd already looked through all the Lichfield births on there checking MMN, but I must have only done Downs not Downes!
        KiteRunner

Comment

Oooh, I didn't know Staffs BMD had mmn! What about the other two then?

Comment

They're not on there yet.
            KiteRunner

Comment

Doh, I see that only goes up to 1900. :(

Comment

Thanks Kate - I looked on there but was looking for the later two rather than the earlier one.

Well that is one of them sorted, Harriet.

Now I wonder if the other was Emily or Doris (the two I found and thought might be them).

I think Emily might be the more likely of the two as Thomas had a sister called Emily.

Thank you both :D

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Just an aside, Tom, I don't thik they wore mourning for babies. It was too frequent an occurence.

She does look slightly pregnant to me! Her stomach is very high, despite the tight lacing on her dress and she looks a bit strangled! The bib may be concealing buttons which wouldn't fasten.

OC

Comment

I hadn't thought of that OC - some people would be in mourning all the time.

I think that the second baby was probably Emily Evelyn but there is only one way to find out...

Comment

Quote from British Almanac, 1905, article on the etiquette of mourning and funerals:

"Mourning for Infants. – The mourning worn is never extreme, though the loss is perhaps heavier than any. Black is worn for three months, but some people prefer to retain it for double that time.. Crape is not worn for infants or young children."
                      Last edited by Roger in Sussex; 28-12-08, 09:50.

Comment

Kate where on the Staffs BMD can you get MMN? I can't find a thing.
                        Kit

Comment

Kit, if you look for the birth reg of Harriet Downs (as an example) you have to then click the ref at the right-hand end of the entry. The next screen will show you the mmn, but not all the entries have this included.

Comment

I wouldn't have put the youngest girl in the photo as any older than five. Don't know if that helps at all?

Comment

Thanks Merry, I wouldn't have thought to check there.
                              Kit

Comment

Working...
                              X