Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Reg - What does this mean?

Hi

i have the burial of a 9 month old child and in the notes it says Elizabeth Dungar late Elizabeth Richardson - spinster. This is the mother, does it mean she never married the father?

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Surely it just means she was unmarried at the time of the birth and then died,
    Fortuna
    Last edited by fortuna; 27-12-08, 18:22.

Comment

"late" doesn't mean that Elizabeth was dead, it just means that Richardson was her previous surname. It could mean that she was unmarried when the baby was born but had married Mr Dungar in between the birth and the baby's death, or it could even mean that she was unmarried before she married Mr Dungar before the baby's birth. Or it could mean that she wasn't married but had changed her surname. It might help us figure it out if you could give us the full details of the entry you have found.
      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi

I have two, Hannah dunger died 1799 and also her brother Thomas within a week of each other in Norfolk. On the childrens baptism information in Little Massingham it also lists mothers surname, although no notes.
        Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Looking at some of the other Little Massingham baptisms, it seems that they all give mother's surname, as indeed did a lot of Norfolk parishes, so I wouldn't take it to mean that the parents weren't married. If they weren't married then it would be more likely that only the mother's name would be given and not the father's. But I suppose you can't be certain they were married until you find the marriage.
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Robyn,

A lot of Suffolk marriages give the mother's maiden name as late too. I can't find the marriage anywhere for this one tho':( Perhaps some one could do a look up for you next time they are at Norwich RO. worth an ask
            Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Doesn't explain why it says "spinster" though.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
              X