Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone tell me please - how big was a pingle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone tell me please - how big was a pingle?

I thought I knew my way around the old land measures but this one has me beat.

The National Archives | Access to Archives

Thanks everyone
    Barbara

DSL - SND1 PINGLE, v.1, n.1 Also pingel, pengle, paingle; and with variant ending ¶pinger. [pIl] I. v. intr. 1. To strive, contend, compete; to quarrel, fight, disagree (Gall. 1824 MacTaggart Gallov. Encycl. 382). Phr. to pingle wi' a maister, fig. to contend against overwhelming odds, attempt the impossible (Sc. 1880 Jam.). Vbl.n. pinglin, a thrashing, drubbing (Rxb. 1965).
    *Kcb. 1789 D. Davidson Seasons 78:
    The chiels began to pingle; An' drunken carles coupin doun, Made mugs an' yill-caups jingle.
    *Gall. 1824 MacTaggart Gallov. Encycl. 350:
    They pingle meikle on his side to play.
    2. To struggle at a difficult task, to work in a close, laborious, painstaking way, to expend effort and energy to little purpose, to drudge (Sc. 1782 J. Sinclair Ob. Sc. Dial. 91, 1808 Jam.; Sh. 1878 E.D.D.; Rxb. 1923

Got this from Google................................hope it helps

Comment

Thanks for looking Alan.

I've never heard of any of those definitions before,!! What I think I'm really looking for is a pingle as an area of land, at least thats how I read the extract on TNA.
      Barbara

Comment

From what I can find a pingle isn't a unit of measurement it just refers to a small enclosed piece of land and can be of varying sizes in the case you refer to 6 acres.

This also comes from Google.. (where would we be without google?)

Comment

According to Websters a pingle is a small piece of inclosed land (inclosed not enclosed) so Ringo must be a place.

Hope that helps?
          Kat

My avatar is my mother 1921 - 2012

Comment

Thanks both - that will teach me to read things properley won't it:o

Ringo as a place - now that could take some finding.
            Barbara

Comment

Barbara , like you I thought I knew a lot of measurements!

Found this:On Google (of course) cross reffered to on Warwickshire web site:

Pinfold A small enclosure for keeping stray animals in.

Pingle A small piece of land, most commonly referred to in the Midlands.

Also there's quite a lot of residential developments (houses for sale) known as The Pingle - so as said above probably about 6 acres.
              Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Wondering if it comes from same derivation as "pightle" a word said to have originated in Norfolk from "pigtail" meaning a small piece of land.
                ~ with love from Little Nell~
                Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thank you both for those thoughts. Interesting comparison to the Pightle too Nell.
                  Barbara

Comment

more research: Websters
                    Pingle Pin"gle, n. [Perhaps fr. pin to impound.]
                    A small piece of inclosed ground. [Obs. or Prov. Eng.]

Oxford Etymological dictionary

pound
                    "enclosed place for animals," late O.E. pundfald "penfold, pound," related to pyndan "to dam up, enclose (water)," and thus from the same root as pond. Ultimate origin unknown; no certain cognates beyond Eng.
                    Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

the pound sounds very similar to an area I grew up knowing as a "pinfold" - as in an enclosed area where stray animals were kept in the middle of the village until there owners claimed them - for a small fee of course.
                      Barbara

Comment

Makes a change from messuages and hereditaments.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
                          Makes a change from messuages and hereditaments.

well I like to be different....
                          Barbara

Comment

The term Pingle is still used in this part of Lincolnshire. There was quite a row a few years ago when a developer wanted to build an access road to some new houses across the Pingle in a village near here. I thought it was a piece of common land which was secure where people could graze their live stock.

Ann
                            ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
                            Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Thanks for that Ann
                              Barbara

Comment

*must get new spex...keep thinking you want to know how big a PRINGLE is*

OC

Comment

pmsl OC - a PRINGLE would be crisp sized wouldn't it?

I gather the word is not overly familiar to you either - which reassures me a little
                                  Barbara

Comment

Barbara

But it sounds like one of those words you HAVE heard before, and used to know what it meant, but can't remember!

Pinfold is the term used in Lancashire, from time immemorial. Sometimes spelled pEnfold - which makes perfect sense.

OC

Comment

that is so true OC - I read through that link at least 3 times before I realised there was a word I didn't know in there:o
                                      Barbara

Comment

I found this :

Pin´gle
                                        n.1.A small piece of inclosed ground.
                                        Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by C. & G. Merriam Co.

but all I have heard of is a Pinfold as well... the one in our local town was built on a few years ago.. and the new 'apartments' look awful
                                        Julie
                                        They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                                        X