GR dropped Newest-First sort for HotMatches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GR dropped Newest-First sort for HotMatches

I've just had my next HotMatches list through.

Off I went to have a look... New layout - OK (background less dazzling, as noted before) - HotMatches easy to spot - OK - Open Up... Grrrrrrr! NO Newest-First sort option. :(

I had a look in FAQ:
    We no longer sort them by newest matches. However, the word 'new' will be displayed next to the new ones.
    Who's bright idea was that, then? I don't delete all the names I've contacted - so now I have to wade through the whole list to find the New ones. I've emailed them my feedback - and drawn a comparison with the way that they changed the open-my-tree default to unticked for a while, and then switched back.

Why do they do this? They put in a sensible change for a number of months - maybe a year or so - and then drop it again, just as you get used to having it as standard!

I'm a bit cross! I'm sure you'd never have guessed!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

For anyone who keeps photos on GR, you might want to check they are still there - some members have reported their disappearance.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      For anyone who keeps photos on GR, you might want to check they are still there - some members have reported their disappearance.
      and if your photos have vanished, DO complain.

I did this once before and they gave me 6 months membership free
      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

And - icing on the cake - when you reply, you get a confirmation of message sent... above the page you are now on... irrespective of how far through you were in the list you are now on page 1! :( AND, when you "discard" a non-match, there's no guarantee that the list will still be in the same sequence when you go back to it! There's every chance that there's a HotMatch that's sneaked in before the position where you are now. :(

This is EXACTLY what I complained about a year or two back, and they sorted it out. WHY do they have to backpedal on useful/sensible changes?

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Sounds like their programmers are taking an easy option rather than doing things properly.

Not good. I had my hotmatches sorted as well. And I haven't done them for a while so it will be a big mess.

I just had a look and I have a new match with 16 matches. Not ONE name was the same and not even the same country.
          Last edited by Kit; 27-12-08, 10:54.
          Kit

Comment

And of course you'll still get some "not matches" where either you or the other person has reloaded their tree since the Hot Matches were drawn. I haven't had anything useful from Hot Matches for some time. I do look through them but then just discard them.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

What I cannot fathom out is when they say there are 2 or 3 hot matches to your tree and only 1 is anything like people in my tree - surely it should say 1 hopeful match??!!:(:(

and then in one case today in a list of 3 hot matches - a lady born 1700s is matched with a man in my tree born 1800's - utter rubbish

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                And - icing on the cake - when you reply, you get a confirmation of message sent... above the page you are now on... irrespective of how far through you were in the list you are now on page 1! :( AND, when you "discard" a non-match, there's no guarantee that the list will still be in the same sequence when you go back to it! There's every chance that there's a HotMatch that's sneaked in before the position where you are now. :(

This is EXACTLY what I complained about a year or two back, and they sorted it out. WHY do they have to backpedal on useful/sensible changes?

Christine
                yes that always annoys me. they change places or disappear every time you click on one to view

Comment

Don't like the new layout at all!

I had it down to a fine art. Click on 5th name down the page and my arrow was in exactly the right place to delete without moving a muscle. I could speed down the page in no time, cleverly swerving round the "Yes" ones.

Now I can't do that and it took me ages to delete five pages and I almost deleted a few I wanted to keep. It really doesn't seem as easy to read to me and I liked the little lighted matches that signified a new match!

(Dunno why I'm moaning, I can't contact anyone and no one ever contacts me!)

OC

Comment

I hardly ever use the hot matches page as it's always flooded with my Jones and Galley family matches. However, I'm annoyed with the new tree viewer as I used to right click on the tree matches under a person's name and open in a new window, now it's not an html link and I have to left click it and navigate away from my tree. :(
                    Hail Spode!

Comment

Earlier this year I gave up looking at hot matches ... it's still a relief to think that I don't HAVE to go through all that rubbish.
                      ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Rachel I don't have to do it but there is the occassional match that makes it all worthwhile.
                        Kit

Comment

Oh goodness !

I just had a look at the new format for hot matches ... quite nice BUT the content is possibly more insane than ever.

One person has 4 of my people ... clicked on the name and it's a fib ! :(
                          They have ONE person four times and it's not a match anyway, Cheshire and Yorkshire are really not the same place.

Oh groan ... another has matched Lincolnshire and Middlesex.

Comment

Originally posted by Kit the Kat View Post
                            Rachel I don't have to do it but there is the occassional match that makes it all worthwhile.

Hi Kit
                            What I do is the occasional search ... usually if I do find a match with one of mine, I'm the one who ends up supplying the info.

Comment

I groan every time I check my hot matches.

I have a few John Brown's in my tree so you can imagine how many I get.....and none of the hot matches are even close.

Comment

Hi Flashie
                                I have quite a few Deletes and Oos (removed a lot of my tree) and I get matches for those as well :D

Comment

Yippee .... this is the best Not Match I've ever had

My tree: Lilian Simpson; born 1891; Hull, Yorks
                                  Trevor's tree: Henry Challen; born 1817; Arundel, Sussex

However I'm like OC
                                  Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
                                  (Dunno why I'm moaning, I can't contact anyone and no one ever contacts me!)

OC
                                  Haven't had a match for about 2 years - not that's contacted me anyway!

Anne

Comment

I love it, Anne!

I do now understand why that happens - people reload the trees between the matching and you looking - but it still makes it hilarious...

Perhaps we could set up a NotMatches thread? Would that be allowed?... only gentle fun, not nastiness.

Christine

PS - I have had a number of quite interesting contacts. I'm often giving more, now, than getting, but that's very different from early on in my membership, so I try to remember not to be huffy about it.

Comment

i keep getting matches for william smith and mary mcdonald, but the matches are for everywhere except where mine are from

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                                        I have had a number of quite interesting contacts. I'm often giving more, now, than getting, but that's very different from early on in my membership, so I try to remember not to be huffy about it.
                                        I'm well miffed at the moment as I was contacted by a person as it appeared that we had a 100% match. I had to check who the person who matched was as it wasn't a name that rang a bell but when I saw who it was I had goose bumps up my arms as on my father's hand written tree done in the 1960s/1970s all it says underneath this person is "3 children Zululand". It was a solid gold whoohoo moment and I responded probably almost by return - I am this person's father's 2nd cousin - I have heard nothing back but the info off my tree has been taken - complete with the notes which says "3 children in zululand."

The person is doing it as they wanted to find out about their father's family before he was too old but I find it strange that I haven't even had an email to say thank-you but your message about being huffy is a timely reminder to me Christine! :D
                                        Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

Comment

Working...
                                        X