• Show
Clear All

• Frederick Addenbrooke Ormiston Bowra

Can anyone find him anywhere between his birth:

Births Dec 1867
    Bowra Frederick Addenbrooke O Lewisham 1d 880

and his appearance on the 1911 census?

BOWRA FREDERICK ADDENBROOKE ONNISTON M 1868 43 Maidenhead Berkshire

I'm sure Onniston is wrong and it should be Ormiston.

I suspect his parents are Frederick William Bowra and Emily Aldridge Ormiston m 1867 St Giles Camberwell London.

Emily however died in Mar 1871 and Frederick is listed as a widower and visitor on the 1871 census.
    Kit

Well Frederick AO married Clara Rose Stanley Dax in 1891.

Frederick AO died in 1928 as discovered in the Times.

Still no mention of his parents.
    Kit

Comment

I looked at the CDrom version of 1881 census and cannot see him, or his father. It would be easy to mistranscribe Bowra !, so I will keep looking.
      Di
      Diane
      Sydney Australia
      Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Well I just looked in the first place I should have - familysearch.

I've found the following:

FREDERICK ADDENBROOKE ORMISTON BOWRA
        Birth: 03 DEC 1867
        Christening: 06 FEB 1868 Saint Bartholomew, Sydenham, London, England
        Parents:
        Father: FREDERICK WILLIAM BOWRA
        Mother: EMILY

So I was right in thinking he belonged to the family.

Thanks Di for looking. I obviously haven't got my searching hat on properly.
        Last edited by Kit; 27-12-08, 07:21.
        Kit

Comment

Could this be relevant ?

The Times 5 Dec 1879
          Deaths
          On the 27th ult, at Boulogne, very suddenly, F.W. Bowra Esq, only son of the late W.A.Bowra Esq of SUrbiton.

Di
          Diane
          Sydney Australia

Comment

Yes Di it is. I'm sure Frederick Snrs father is William addenbrooke so you have found his death.

Off to have a look now. I couldn't get anything to come up yesterday but will make it happen now.
            Kit

Comment

Which is why its not in the GRO/freebmd indexes. Do you know what he was doing in Boulogne ? Perhaps that's where F.A.O.B. was in 1881 ?

Are they related to C.A.V. Bowra who gets lots of mentions in The Times, cause he's big in China ?

Di
              Diane
              Sydney Australia

Comment

No idea on any of the questions Di. I can't find FAOB on any census bar 1911. he may have honeymooned abroad and missed the 1891. On FWBs marriage in the Times is said his father was formerly of Hong Kong so there is a possibility of them being related to CAV but I don't know. My OH is related to Emily not Frederick W so I haven't traced the Bowra's.
                Kit

Comment

Hi Kit
                  Is this William A's death ?

"Hampshire Telegraph and Sussex Chronicle 8 Sep 1856
                  BOWRA on the 4th Inst, at Durrington Lodge, Kingston, W.A. Bowra, Esq, son-in-law of Mr Brown Hearn, of Carisbrooke Castle, Isle of Wight".

and here's Frederick and Emily Marriage Notice -

"The Pall Mall Gazette 16 March 1867
                  Marriages
                  BOWRA-ORMISTON. At St Giles Camberwell, by the Rev F.F. Statham, Frederick William, only son of the late William Addenbrooke Bowra, Esq of Durrington Lodge, Surbiton, late of Hong Kong, to Emily, only daughter of P.S. Ormiston of Woodville House, Gypsy Hill, on Thursday the 14th inst. No Cards. "

And this one - in an odd place the Western Mail Cardiff -

"19 May 1869
                  Births
                  On the 14th May at 15, Langton-grove, Sydneham, the wife of F.W. Bowra,prematurely, of a daughter, who survived a few hours." SAD

Can you access the 19th Century British newspapers, which is separate to The Times on-line ? i will look at bit further.

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia

Comment

Di I think that is the right William A. I've seen the other 2 notices but I can't find a birth for FAO Bowra.

The search thingy isn't working well. I found FAOs marriage by seaching for his wife. I CAN'T get it to work by searching for Bowra or Ormiston.

I also can't find any children for FAO although I don't think his wife would be incapable at the ripe old age of 34.

I am glad I've linked him to the family and when I access the census I'll find out if there were any children.
                    Kit

Comment

I just found FAO's birth notice by searching every paper from 3/12/1867 onwards.

The Pall Mall Gazette (London, England), Thursday, December 5, 1867; Issue 880.

What is annoying is that I had searched by surname and address previously and both were mentioned in the item. I suspect Emily died as a result of childbirth. I'll search backwards from her date of death and see what I can find.
                      Kit

Comment

More...

The Era, Town Edition 19 March 1871
                        Deaths
                        BOWRA on the 9th Inst, at 15 Langton-grove Sydneham, Emily Aldridge, wife of Frederick William Bowra, in the 25th year of her age. Friends will please accept this intimation"

The Pall Mall Gazette also has a death notice for F.W. Bowra, but not as much information.
                        Nothing further on F.A.O. Bowra though - you might be right, sounds like a honeymoon abroad might have been on the cards. Maybe back to Boulogne ?

Di
                        Diane
                        Sydney Australia

Comment

Oh, I missed FAO's birth notice, I was just searching BOWRA, but it picked up a lot of other words too.

What about a directory or electoral roll entry - a Piggots or kellys, type directory for might give an occupation for FW or FAO ? Then you might track FAO down in 1901.
                          (well, maybe)...

Got to go cook dinner now

Di
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia

Comment

Thamks Di. I have, I think, FW on the 1871. Will have to have a look and see what he did.
                            Kit

Comment

Working...
                            X