Cornish Gilbert's.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cornish Gilbert's.

Mr and Mrs Gilbert of Illogan,Redruth.Early 1900's i think.
    "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

I love Mr Gilbert!, but what is the little boy stood in?

Comment

I have Cornish and Devon Gilbert's, mostly Devon as far as I have researched so far. Do you know anymore about this family?

I think the boy is stood in the bottom of the coach with the door in front of him it looks like the name Gilbert is on the door. It looks like there is an upper and lower door and the lower door has a handle of some sort on it.

Regards
      Jill

Comment

Smashing picture, did you know that Compton Castle Marldon, Paignton, Devon, was the home of the Gilbert family for over 600 years, it is now run by the National Trust, but the Gilberts family still live there.....wonder if you are related!! who knows, although I know some of them went to America abt 200 years ago, have a google....:DLilly

Comment

My Gilbert's originated (as far as I have gone back John possibly 1770's) from Clawton.

A Grandson moved to Boyton, Cornwall and had a family that moved to St Teath.

John had four Sons one emigrated to New Zealand. One Son Samuel moved to Devonport (now in Plymouth) Devon which is my line.

None that I know of in Paignton but I haven't traced them all yet with the name Gilbert it is not easy to do.

Regards
          Jill

Comment

Ooh Jill, yes now you point it out !!!! he's stood in a coach, a grandson?

Comment

They seem to have owned a local bus service which ran from Illogan to Redruth,my Gilbert's from my mums side of the family came from the Portreath/Illogan area so they probably some sort of distant relation(he does look a lot like my late uncle ken.)
              I have come across another pic from 1905 taken in Broad lane,Illogan.
              "As if by magic the shop keeper appeared"

Comment

Working...
              X