Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ooooh, rejoicings!

I feel like I've won the pools!!

I have been doing a hobby tree for years, which pivots round one man called Timothy Holden, born in 1700 in Darwen Lancs.

A great deal is known about his descendants (hence my hobby tree) but Timothy's origins are obscure, apart from the name of his father. Timothy's early years are a blank and he doesn't really get into his stride until the 1750s, which is where the records begin - he was a strong nonconformist and everyone assumed he just didn't have anything to do with the church.

This morning, a contact who is working on a specific branch of Timothy's descendants, sent me a scan of a baptism for a child of "Timothy Holden of Darwen" in a completely unresearched area. It has only just come on line and he was looking for something else entirely.

It tells me many things. It tells me Timothy was married very young and probably was married twice - his proven children are all in a close few years from 1735 to 1745. This baptism was much earlier - 1723 and now gives more credence to another, unproven child born in 1718. It tells me Timothy either lived, or worshipped, many miles from Darwen and I now have an entirely new place to look.

I'm jumping around like a loony. It is absolutely years since I had any backward lead on this family at all.

GRRRRR...I have to go and do entertaining things for my family....I just want to get at my tree!!

OC

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post

I'm jumping around like a loony..........

.......I have to go and do entertaining things for my family....

OC
    OC you could jump round and call that the entertainment........*and they say women can multi task!!*

Good for you with the breakthrough though.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

OOOO how lucky is that, hope it leads to many more 'finds' about him

Comment

Congrats OC. Hope you get many more clues for Timothy.

I think one of my Christopher Eccles (b1790) went to Manchester from Lower Darwen....

Di
        Diane
        Sydney Australia
        Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Di

Did your Christopher marry Jane Nuttall? If so, I've got him in my tree. I haven't otherwise done much work on the Eccles!

OC

Comment

Well Done, OC!

Christine
            Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Good stuff!

This isn't "Timothy o'the Looms" is it?
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Nell, Yes it is!

This information has taken me in a totally unexpected direction which has been under my nose for ages but I would never, ever, have connected him with that branch of the Holdens!

OC

Comment

Hi OC

Well, no, so far my Christopher Eccles did not marry Jane Nuttall, but I think most of the Christophers from Darwen are related, as all the Christophers who turn up in Manchester are related to mine.

So far I have three Christopher Eccles baptised in 1783 - to John and Ellen, to Ellen and to John and Catherine. Another in 1786 to Sarah and one in 1790 to George and Ann. And two of them died in 1842.

With Timothy havaing a child in 1723 and poss. 1718, does that make him older than you expected ? An a new area to research, that should fill in the holidays for you !!

And isn't it interesting that, no matter how experienced we get at this, we discount something because it does not fit what we know, instead of trying to work out what would happen if it did fit ? Like getting married or a baptism in the "wrong" place ? I've had a couple of those to throw me off the trail.

Di
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia
                  Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Glenn your idea sounds good in theory but how much research do you think OC will get done if they decide a straight jacket is a suigtable piece of clothing?

Congrats OC. Hope you find out lots more.
                    Kit

Comment

Di

No, doesn't make him older than expected, but he had nine children, none of which I have ever been able to confirm by baptism, but I have confirmed three from other documentation. Only four are in serious doubt and this find was one of them.

His first two children (unproven) are followed by a fourteen year gap before he has the second lot and that has always worried me, as it would mean that he was barely 18 when the first child was born...and what happened in the gap???

However, this baptism my contact has found is for the second of these two early children and I now suspect even more strongly that this was a first, unknown marriage. (Well, the second is unknown too, no one has ever found it, although this "wife's" name is not in dispute).

Exciting exciting exciting!

OC

Comment

so pleased for you dear, now don't you think you'd better sit down and have some weak tea? Move away from the sherry decanter and put that reticule down!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

And especially the sharpened pencil which you are brandishing.
                          Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

OC you certainly do have a bad reputation.
                            Kit

Comment

Working...
                            X