Decision...decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision...decision

My Ancestry sub finishes 2nd Feb and I can't decide whether to take up Find My Past's offer of a 15% discount before 2nd Jan on the £89. 95 Explorer package (which has everything). I know I will be wasting a month of Ancestry and I haven't used FMP before so don't know how good it is compared to Ancestry ......Help.

Jean
    Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Hi Jean,

Really it depends on which records you need the most Both sites have lots of interesting material, but not the same as each other!

I think FMP's transcription accuracy is better than Ancestry's, but I can't quite bring myself to change over from Ancestry (can't afford both) until FMP has all of the 1851 and 1901 censuses.

Comment

I have found quite a bit on the parish records on Findmypast, particularly the Docklands Ancestor records - but of course it depends what counties you are researching as to whether there is anything of value for you.
      Elaine

Comment

I really dislike the FMP search interface - I find searching with Ancestry is much easier and quicker, although their transcriptions are worse.

Comment

I like the FMP possibility of searching with name variants and of course the address search facility - although having said that I normally use Ancestry in preference to FMP!
          Elaine

Comment

I had been thinking exactly the same, Jean, especially now that I can access World Ancestry free from the library in the town where I work.

The only thing I would miss is my tree on Ancestry, which I presume I would no longer be able to update.

I presume the 1911 census will at some stage be included in the FMP subscription, too
            Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

I may be wrong Joan but I think you can still have a tree on Ancestry even if you don't subscribe, in which case you should be able to amend it, but you wouldn't be able to make contacts.

Joanie

Comment

Right ..... taken all that on board.

Merry I didn't realise they didn't have the full census .... thought they were up to date now.

I wouldn't need world records ..... 99% of mine are in the northern counties of England, that's why I find Ancestry and Family Search great ...... so I think I'd maybe better stick with them ..... for this next year anyway ..... maybe change if FMP are the first to get 1911.

Thanks everyone.
                Jean
                Jean....the mist is starting to clear

Comment

Working...
                X