help with name of pub in 1901 please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with name of pub in 1901 please

I have Daniel & Anne Pitt with son Percy living in Holfleet, Winkton, Hampshire. Daniel is a publican, but I can't make out the name of the Inn, can anyone help please?

1901 ref: RG13; Piece: 1038; Folio: 10; Page: 12.
    They are the last family on the page.

Many thanks.
    Sue

The Saull Inn Shalfleet, Christchurch

regards
    L

Comment

Sorry, I disagree. It's the The Lamb Inn, Holfleet. It's clearer on the 1891 census.

Reference to it here,
      "The area around the airfield contained ( and still does contain) several small villages, each with one or more good English Pubs. The nearest to the aerodrome would have been the Lamb Inn at Holfleet at the eastern edge of Winkton village, the Carpenters Arms, Crown and Three Tuns in Bransgore and the Woolpack in Sopley."
      BBC - WW2 People's War - Collected Memories Around the Wartime Airfield at Winkton, Hampshire

Picture here,
      The Lamb Inn:: OS grid SZ1696 :: Geograph British Isles - photograph every grid square!
      Phil
      historyhouse.co.uk
      Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thanks for looking Leclerc. I wasn't sure, as I couldn't see anything else on the page that looked like the 1st letter.

I am pretty sure that it's ?aull Inn, though.
        Sue

Comment

Oh thanks Phil. Yes that does look like it, will check out your links, thanks.
          Sue

Comment

Originally posted by keldon View Post
            Sorry, I disagree. It's the The Lamb Inn, Holfleet. It's clearer on the 1891 census.

Reference to it here,
            "The area around the airfield contained ( and still does contain) several small villages, each with one or more good English Pubs. The nearest to the aerodrome would have been the Lamb Inn at Holfleet at the eastern edge of Winkton village, the Carpenters Arms, Crown and Three Tuns in Bransgore and the Woolpack in Sopley."
            BBC - WW2 People's War - Collected Memories Around the Wartime Airfield at Winkton, Hampshire

Picture here,
            The Lamb Inn:: OS grid SZ1696 :: Geograph British Isles - photograph every grid square!

By way of confirmation, Kelly's Directory of Hampshire & I.O.W.,1898, page 114 has Daniel Pitt at the Lamb Inn, Winkton.

see

Historical Directories

Hope that helps.

Roger

Comment

The Lamb Inn Winkton, Dorset – The Pub – The Restaurant

I used to go there a lot a few years back, it was one of my nan's favs. For a while there was an eccentric landlady who used to shout at her customers if she didn't like them. It was always very funny. I liked her but I'm biased as she used to call me a Gentleman.

It's under new hands now but they've ripped out all the old chairs and put in aircraft seats. It's all very odd plus the building was always painted white and now it's a sickly orange colour. Shame really.
              Hail Spode!

Comment

Thanks for your comments and links Roger & Guybrush.

Daniel Pitt was a blacksmith up to 1891, in Beckley and one of their daughters, who was still living at home was a barmaid (census didn't say where). As he was aged 74 in 1901, a publican's job was probably easier than a blacksmiths.

Thanks to all the replies, I've now have pictures of the Lamb Inn and lots of helpful information.

Happy New Year to all (too late to say merry Christmas!)
                Sue

Comment

I used to go there a lot a few years back, it was one of my nan's favs. For a while there was an eccentric landlady who used to shout at her customers if she didn't like them.

Oooh, I used to go there a lot too, about 20 years ago. I don't remember that landlady, but I do remember the nightmare ladies toilet! lol (I only went in it the once!!)

Comment

I was just talking to my mother about the Lamb inn as one of her friends had xmas lunch there and I mentioned your post here. It turns out that my mum worked for an old lady who's grandparents used to live at the Lamb in and were blacksmiths. Interesting no? Small world isn't it!
                    Hail Spode!

Comment

Originally posted by guybrush View Post
                      I was just talking to my mother about the Lamb inn as one of her friends had xmas lunch there and I mentioned your post here. It turns out that my mum worked for an old lady who's grandparents used to live at the Lamb in and were blacksmiths. Interesting no? Small world isn't it!

Oh wow, yes what a small world!

Couldn't resist using my last credits to look at 1911 census to see if they still there. Daniel's occupation is retired blacksmith and he and wife Anne were living in Bransgore, Christchurch, so no longer a publican at the Lamb.
                      Last edited by Crafty Sue; 28-12-08, 20:29.
                      Sue

Comment

Working...
                      X