scotland 1911

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• scotland 1911

when and where will the 1911 for scotland be available?

Good question.

Hugo

Comment

I looked on Scotlandspeoople site looks like 2011

Comment

I heard they're working on it now, but that the Information Commissioner's ruling, which has allowed them to open the England and Wales census early - testing now and due in 2009 they say - doesn't apply in Scotland. So Jan 2012 looks like the date.

Does the Freedom of Information Act not apply in Scotland? Should we be lobbying for early opening?

Comment

I don't believe there is any intention to open up the Scottish 1911 until the due date (unfortunately).

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Does the Freedom of Information Act not apply in Scotland? Should we be lobbying for early opening?
            Yes it does -- that's is why I can go in to NRH in Edinburgh and see the entries for BDM's a few weeks/days after the event and see certificate soon after.

Why can't I see later census returns?

The 1901 census is the latest available for public view at present, whether online or in person. To protect the privacy of individuals, census returns may only be inspected after 100 years.

In line with the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002, the 1911 census will be available in Spring 2011, once the 100-year closure period has elapsed.
            Jan

Comment

strange how the english can twist the law to suit themselves but the scots cant.

Comment

Gloryer

I think it was because the F o I law in England was challenged - and fell. No one has challenged it in Scotland!

OC

Comment

Census records in Scotland are exempt from the provisions of the Scottish Freedom of Information Act and so the circumstances are quite different from those relating to the 1911 census fror England and Wales.

Comment

Originally posted by highland ranger View Post
                    Census records in Scotland are exempt from the provisions of the Scottish Freedom of Information Act and so the circumstances are quite different from those relating to the 1911 census fror England and Wales.
                    You are telling me something I did not know. Who was responsible for the Scottish Freedom of Information Act? Was it the Scottish Government or the London Government?

Hugo

Comment

Originally posted by deletejb View Post
                      Yes it does -- that's is why I can go in to NRH in Edinburgh and see the entries for BDM's a few weeks/days after the event and see certificate soon after.

Jan
                      No census records are specifically exempt from the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002
                      Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (asp 13)

The reason you can see BMDs is because the public have always held the right to view BMDs in Scotland.
                      This was also the case in England and Wales until a Registrar General decided to block access to them even though there was no change in the law to allow him to block public access.

BTW OC, I was the person who challenged the ONS & GRO and won access to the 1911 census.

Cheers
                      Guy
                      Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Thanks for the link will read it later.

The reason you can see BMDs is because the public have always held the right to view BMDs in Scotland.

Always !!! defiantly didn't feel like we had the right --------- a few years ago probably 2000/2001 my niece asked me if I could pop into register office (where her birth was registered) and get her a copy of her birth certificate, and post it to her ------------ I was "put through third degree" if I remember rightly my driving license was copied. In 2003 I had to pop to register office for a copy of my sons that was much easer just asked when and where was he born -- under 5 mins I had the certificate in my hand.

You don't see adoptions in New Register House but can see divorces, most are on line (indexes). What I did find funny was a cousin had a child and linked to the child's certificate is a Decree of Paternity, at the end of this short document there is this statement.

No Reference to Decree of Paternity to be entered in any extract or certificate
                        Happy New Year

Jan

Comment

Originally posted by deletejb View Post
                          Thanks for the link will read it later.

You don't see adoptions in New Register House but can see divorces, most short document there is this statement.

Happy New Year

Jan
                          There are adoptions in New Registry House in Edinburgh as I found my friends OH's details when I went looking.

Comment

I've never found any adoptions I have 2 adopted brothers and can only see their original birth certificates there is not any link to their adoption. I can also see the birth of a cousins child who was adopted under his birth name no link to adoption and I didn't note his 'new' name when cousin told me about him.

I'm interested how you found the adoption was it under birth or on the microfiche.

Jan
                            Last edited by deletejb; 01-01-09, 19:19.

Comment

Guy,

Given your impressive track record then clearly you are better placed than most to comment sensibly and factually on such matters. Perhaps you could make it easy for all of us then and attempt to interpret exactly what the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 is trying to tell us about the status of personal information contained in census returns? There appears to be fairly wide confusion.

Imber

Comment

The exemptions of information from the census under the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 2002 (FoISA) relies on-
                                Section 38, Personal information
                                This section makes all census information exempt from the FoISA

The difference between the Scottish Act and the England & Wales Act is that under the Scottish Act any census information is exempt from the FoISA whereas under the England & Wales Act only sensitive personal information is exempt (also under the Information Commissioner's ruling each record has to be assessed separately rather than by blanket bans).

It is also interesting to note that the FoISA allows for census information governed by the Census Act, 1920 to be released after 100 years but the England & Wales FoI does not allow for this meaning that all census of England & Wales taken under the 1920 Act cannot be released ever, not even after 1000 years.
                                Cheers
                                Guy
                                Guy passed away October 2022

Comment

Originally posted by Guy View Post

It is also interesting to note that the FoISA allows for census information governed by the Census Act, 1920 to be released after 100 years but the England & Wales FoI does not allow for this meaning that all census of England & Wales taken under the 1920 Act cannot be released ever, not even after 1000 years.
                                  Cheers
                                  Guy
                                  So any clues about what might be happening with the 1921 census? are they going to be sticking to the letter of the law? Bit silly if they are as it's a good way for the NA to get some funding which is not directly taken from the public purse.

Comment

Peppie

I expect there will be a hurried and embarrassed amendment to the law,(FoI) once they realise how much money they stand to lose!

OC

Comment

But wasn't a large proportion of the 1921 census lost?
                                      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

UJ

Not sure about that. I do know the 1931 was completely destroyed.

However! "They" said that upto 50% of the 1911 census was too degraded to be of any use. This doesn't appear to be true, unless of course, that is the reason for all the missing counties on the Beta test site, har har har!!!!

OC

Comment

Working...
                                        X