No announcement yet.

Can anyone help with a Notts placename?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone help with a Notts placename?

I'm trying to find the birthplace and maiden name of Sarah Chambers, born c. 1809.

In 1841 she's living with husband Joseph in North Collingham, Notts, and says she was born out of county.

In 1851 they're still in North Collingham, and she says she was born in what looks like "Notts, Slupton".

Class: HO107; Piece: 2136; Folio: 47; Page: 8

I can't find a similar name in Notts, unless it's meant to be Upton.

Any ideas?

She died before 1861, and I haven't found a marriage so far.

I noted that their first child was born in 1830 so assumed they married before then and there is a marriage for a Joseph Chambers to a Sarah Wells on 2/11/1830 in Stubton, Lincoln, (Familysearch.org. IGI Record) but it has been submitted by a member of the church. But looks a possiblity what do you think
    GWEN

Comment

This marriage is also in Pallots marriage index
      Sarah Wells
      Spouse, Joseph Chambers
      Spouse Comments, p Newark
      Marriage Date, 1830
      PARISH, Stubton Lincs 6
      GWEN

Comment

That sounds very promising, thanks very much - I'd missed it by concentrating on Notts. Joseph was from Lincoln, so the area would make sense.

Comment

cannot find a death yet
          GWEN

Comment

Mmmm

Might be awkward to find the death, from my own tree i have quite a few in the area of Collingham and Marston (2 miles from Stubton) and they could be registered as Grantham, Newark and even sometimes Leicester districts.

My Chambers family in Lincoln are an absolute nightmare at times. It's a common name in the area.

Post 1852 all the above are reg district number 7 but it is split into 7a and 7b.
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
            My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
            My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

The marriage also appears as 02/11/1830 on freereg.

Groom noted as from parish of Newark

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Yes, I'd just found it on FreeReg, thanks, Glen. I've also found a submitted baptism for her in Stubton on the IGI.

I think this is her death - her husband's a widower by 1861, and Newark reg. district includes N. Collingham:

Deaths Jun 1858
                Chambers Sarah Newark 7b 184
                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 24-12-08, 19:00.

Comment

You could well be right. I often think that my lot in Collingham registered the events wherever they happened to head for on the day, some are Lincoln and some Newark:o Collingham is slightly nearer to Newark but not by much, as near as makes no odds it's halfway.

FamilyHistoryOnline have quite a few Collingham burials, they should also be on BIVRI i believe, there are 5 burials for the name in Notts 1838-1884
                  Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 24-12-08, 19:13.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Ah, thanks, I haven't looked there yet.

I have an illegitimate Chambers born in N.Collingham in 1864 - is there likely to be any mention of the putative father in the baptism register? I suppose it's too late for a bastardy bond.

Comment

TBH i wouldn't know for anything that late, my links to Collingham at that time are usually deaths of quite old and distant rellies, my Collinhgam baptisms are all much earlier.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

all the above mentioned geographical assumptions are correct lol.

Stubton IS Lincs but it comes at one of those county boundaries (3 counties) which tend to merge.

Incidentally, North and South Collingham are just called Collingham these days (ther are POW pics).

It is always worth getting the register checked for a putitive father (though I have never had any luck!).

If you want any pics around Newark/Collingham and surrounding area give me a shout.
                        Rose

Comment

Thanks, Rosie, that's very kind of you. This is for my BiL's tree, which I'm helping him with, so I'll let you know if he'd like any pics. I haven't looked at the PoW photos yet.

Comment

Working...
                          X