A Xmas Eve Challenge.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Xmas Eve Challenge.........

On Ancestry.............how do I find an address please on the 1901 Census ?

I'm trying to find who lived at :-

79 High Street
    Whitwell
    Hertfordshire

Thank you all so very much

Simon

I don't think you can Simon not on Ancestry. I think you can on findmypast though.

Comment

Below 1901 search form, try going to
      Hertfordshire
      Walden St Paul
      District 23
      RG13/1300

Haven't time to wade, I'm afraid, but does show Whitwell village. Only shows "Whitwell" in the address column on the first couple of pages, but may be worth your while going through - only 29 pps

Good luck
      Carol

Comment

Originally posted by Carol Bird View Post
        Below 1901 search form, try going to
        Hertfordshire
        Walden St Paul
        District 23
        RG13/1300

Haven't time to wade, I'm afraid, but does show Whitwell village. Only shows "Whitwell" in the address column on the first couple of pages, but may be worth your while going through - only 29 pps

Good luck
        Carol

Thank you for that. Pity Ancestry doesn't have an address search process ! :p

One to look through on Sunday I think.....

Comment

There's an address search on the official 1901 site:

1901 Census of England and Wales Online

Comment

I can't get anything to come up on findmypast address search for High Street et var, whitwell. Either I've lost my touch or it's something silly. Sorry, Jools

Comment

I don't think Whitwell has any addresses recorded in 1901.

Comment

It was a tiddly little place and isn't a lot bigger now.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The method is fairly simple but does mean trawling through a district image by image, it can be used for any census year but specific addresses are only found on the later census returns.

Search for a specific parish, for larger towns and cities a parish may be split into several districts, ancestry have images of the district descriptions noting the boundaries and streets within each district. Once the street has been located within a district you then go through the district image by image. Not a five minutie job unless you are looking at a village but it can be fruitful as you may often find extended family in adjacent streets.

A screenshot guide to searching for a particular parish in 1851 via Ancestry is in the wiki;
                  Finding images from a particular parish - Family Tree Forum
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                  My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                  My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Working...
                  X