Its Christmas, another computer, another problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its Christmas, another computer, another problem

Puter experts please. Son has used his bonus to buy a super dooper high everything gaming computer. Its arrived today, he plugged it all in and then found they dont include an operating system :(

To keep the peace Ive just loaded my Dell Vista Home Premium boot disk onto the puter - can someone tell me if this is illegal and is there a way of getting it legalised by buying a new code or whatever please?

Oh and now we are getting the message:

GForce 9800 GT is not receiving sufficient power and as a result cannot run at full capacity and may be damaged.

Anyone PLEASE???
    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 24-12-08, 11:15.

Hi Heather

It is very unusual for manufacturers to sell computers without Windows.
    Tell your son to read the description and see if it says anything.

These days the majority of computers have Windows in a hidden partition , and it has to be installed to drive C from that hidden partition.

There should be an explanation of how to do this in the paperwork supplied with the computer. RTM

Yes it is illegal according to Microsoft for you to use your Dell disk on his computer.
    It will not work properly eitherl because Dell would have installed all the drivers for a Dell , so your sons computer will need different drivers ( Video , sound etc )

Ken
    Last edited by KiteRunner; 26-12-08, 22:28.

Comment

Hi Ken, all the drivers have been installed from the disk in the computer box. This is a small company that sons geek internet gaming friends recommended :(

Any ideas on the video graphics card problem not getting sufficient power please?

Comment

Hi Heather
        The graphics card problem could be the power lead to the card not seating properly due to vibration during delivery , or it could be that the power supply is not man enough to power the graphics card.

To be honest your son should return to whoever supplied it and get it fixed.

Re. using your Dell disk to install on his computer , you are both going to have problems from Microsith when you try to do updates. If you read the T&Cs you are only allowed to install on one computer.
        So your Dell disk is legal at the moment but you could be branded a Pirate.

It looks like your sons buy was not a bargain if he has to add the cost of Windows on to the price ( OEM version £140 )

Ken

Comment

Hi Heather
          The graphics card problem could be the power lead to the card not seating properly due to vibration during delivery , or it could be that the power supply is not man enough to power the graphics card.

To be honest your son should return to whoever supplied it and get it fixed.

Re. using your Dell disk to install on his computer , you are both going to have problems from Microsith when you try to do updates. If you read the T&Cs you are only allowed to install on one computer.
          So your Dell disk is legal at the moment but you could be branded a Pirate.

It looks like your sons buy was not a bargain if he has to add the cost of Windows on to the price ( OEM version £140 )

Ken

Comment

No I dont think it was a bargain ken - its cost nearly £700 for just the actual tower - though its twice as big as mine and has a see thru side and a wavy black glossy cover It was a system his internet war gaming friends have and told him it was the best for gaming.

Since I spoke on here, son has been looking up about the graphics card and finds someone else with the same problem - something to do with need 2 plugs rather than one into the card? Anyway, he rang local puter shop and they had what he needed so I went down and got it and now the thing is up and running okayish but he says he needs to get a proper Vista 64 operating system or something? The chap at the puter shop said they couldnt have done a test on it before they sent it or they would have realised it needed this component. Oh well, its keeping the peace a bit until the shops open again.

Thanks for the input.

Comment

Heather.. regarding legality.. if you look on the side, or rear, of your Dell you will find a sticker.. This is your licence to use the version of windows named on it... and you will require one for each computer you wish to use windows on..

so basically, no sticker = no licence = illegal.....
              https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

Apparently my system isnt right for it anyway Grim. He needs something with 64 bits.

Comment

Originally posted by Heather Positive Thinker View Post
                  Apparently my system isnt right for it anyway Grim. He needs something with 64 bits.
                  Sorry for the delay, been full of sniffles...

While his pc may benefit from a 64bit version of windows (or any other operating system), it will run a 32bit version (like yours) perfectly happily..
                  Any computer shop telling you any different is not being wholly truthful...

The only real reason for needing a 64bit version is if you have 4GB or more of memory or software that specifically states it needs a 64bit operating system...
                  https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

You don't need a retail version of Vista (32 or 64 bit). OEM versions are what come with most PCs and you can buy them from E-buyer and Amazon. The shop who supplied the machine should also supply them. They are around £80.
                    Individuals can be "small system builders" and it's all legal. You get an install disk and an official Microsoft sticker for your case.

Best thing is you have a reinstall disk which is rare these days.

Many gamers still prefer XP. I have just bought a base unit for my son with an OEM XP disk. It's just the same with Vista.
                    Bob
                    I am never wrong. I once thought I was wrong but I was wrong.

Comment

Working...
                    X