Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 - Surname search query response

Hi

Please see the below with reference to an email i sent about being able to soundex search.

The 1911 site offers both a basic and advanced search facilities, but at the moment some functions are deliberately restricted. This is to enable the site to deal with more queries immediately after it goes online, when it is expected that there will be exceptional demand from people trying to access the service.

The majority of people will be able to find at least some of their ancestors with the current search options. However, as soon as the demand has stabilized, we will release updates to the site to enable searching with wildcards, including an initial wildcard, provide NameThesaurus variants, and will also lift the restriction that requires to use a surname for a person search or a street name for the address search. When these restrictions are relaxed it will be easier to find the more elusive ancestors.
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Thank you for sharing that with us. Interesting.

I think their site is very good, I look forward to searching far deeper once it goes live.

Comment

i just hope it gets cheaper
      wye surrey/london/birmingham
      lawrence/laurence berkshire/london/norfolk
      hall harrison cook/e pratt surrey
      ebbage maltby pratt norfolk
      herbert pratt yorkshire/hampshire
      armstrong/rickinson/harrison/beddington yorkshire

Comment

How will they decide when the site has "stabilised"?
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

im guessing not until after the official launch. could be a while yet
          Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

Thanks for letting us know. At least we know those options will be available at some stage.
            Kit

Comment

Robyne, thanks for putting this up, I'm really pleased to know about it.
              Some of my families names must have been mistranscribed because I know what area they lived in, and those areas are available to search on the 1911...but still I cannot find them.
              One family, the name always mistranscribed one way or another in all previous Census', were impossible to find, until the 47th attempt at different spelling permutations!! I got them in the end through sheer determination. But I was hoping the broader search facility would become available eventually!!!!!!!!!!
              Karen x

Comment

Working...
              X