Baptisms in North Tawton, Devon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baptisms in North Tawton, Devon?

Some time ago a kind person (perhaps here, perhaps not - I forgot to record it :() found baptisms in North Tawton to Robert Martin and Mary Pike, who married in North Tawton in 1808. The list I was given is William (June 1809), Richard (my ancestor) (April 1812), James (Nov. 1815), John (Oct. 1819), Robert (May 1822) and George (Oct 1828).

I've now come across a Joseph Martin, born Barnstaple c. 1815, a hairdresser living in St. Sidwell, Exeter with his family in 1851, 1861 and 1871. In 1871 he has his widowed mother Mary aged 81, b. North Tawton and in 1861 he has a "cousin" Mary Hooper Pike aged 14, b. North Tawton.

This is either a total coincidence (a parallel family) or a previously unknown bit of my tree. Is anyone able to throw some light on this, please? North Tawton isn't in the IGI during this time-frame.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Not sure where you got with this. I have been researching Josephs family recently as he may be my 2GGF. I believe he may be the son of Joseph Martin and Mary Bowden (also of North Tawton) who married on 14th May 1810 (my birthday). The family names used were William Joseph Samuel and Henry in the next generation. Josephs son was also a hairdresser and, two generations down, so were my father and his brother.

Majaru

Comment

Just to say I'm still here! I'll probably be able to look at this line again tomorrow. Many thanks for the information.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
      X