Will reading help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will reading help please

I wonder if someone could shed some light on this for me please?

I'm particularly interested in the bit about the Railway. I think that someone is being left shares or debentures in a railway company - but which one (and who's being left the shares)?

Apologies if the answer is obvious. I'm struggling a bit with this one, its so long since I've tried trascribing wills I need to "get my eye in" again:o

Many thanks everyone
    Barbara

It looks as though his brother, his nephew and Joseph Potter were appointed trustees, and the testator has left £2000 with instructions to the trustees to invest it in government stocks, railway debentures (bonds) or the like. The beneficiaries of the trust will be named a bit later in the will.

Comment

Here's what I got

or ?? to the said ?? ?? six r?? mouths next after my ?? and I give and bequeath unto my brother George ?? of ?? in the ?? of Wailwell in the county of Selby farmer and to my nephew ?? shaw of ?? in the county of nottingham farmer and ??keeper and to joseph potter of loughton Paul ?? at Kettering in the county of roithampton park keeper the sum of two thousand pounds upon must that they will wait two ?? or the suviving of them or the executors adminitrators or assigns of ?? survivor do and shall as soon as conveniently may be next after may ?? lay out and invest the ?? in ?? or his names or ?? in the ??? of a ?? share of the parliamentary funds of Great Britain or of interest upon government or ?? ?? in England the ?? of any inappropriate Railway Companies in England with full power to from time to time at their or his discretion to alter ?? and transport the same for and into other stocks funds and stra??ities of a lifemature to and upon further must to pay the dividends interest and annual pro-
      Hail Spode!

Comment

Thanks Mary and Guy

That makes more sense than I had got so far

£2,000 - thats quite a lot of money I think - this will was dated 1854

other bits: brother was George Hancock and nephew was Charles Shaw I think
        Last edited by Barbara Dodds; 22-12-08, 17:47.
        Barbara

Comment

2nd line
          --be paid to the said legartees within six calendar months next after my decease.And I give and bequeath unto my brother George Hancock of Belper in the parish of Whitwell in the County of Derby, farmer and to my nephew Charles Shaw of Curbury?? in the County of Nottingham, farmer and b--keeper and to Joseph Potter of Loughton Park near Kettering in the County of Northampton, park keeper. The sum of two thousand pounds upon trust that they my said trustees or the survivor of them or the executors, administrators or assigns of such survivor do and shall as soon as conveniently may be next after my decease lay out and invest the same in their or his names or name in the purchase of a competent share of the parliamentary funds of Great Britain or at interest upon Government or real securities in England or upon the debentures of any duly incorporated Railway Company in England. With full power from time to time at their or his discretion to alter vary and transpose the same for and into other stocks funds and securities of a like nature. And upon further trust to pay the dividends interest and annual pro -------

Comment

Wow - thank you

The only correction I'd make to that stems from local knowledge - I think it should read Belph in the parish of Whitwell rather than Belper.

Could the nephew be from Cuckney rather than Curbury I wonder?
            Barbara

Comment

Yes, could be Cuckney. Charles Shaw is a farmer and innkeeper.

Comment

thanks again Mary
                Barbara

Comment

Working...
                X