Marrying again - maiden name or widowed name

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marrying again - maiden name or widowed name

If a lady was marrying again c 1908 after being widowed (or possibly divorced) would she use her original maiden name or her old married name?

The 1911 census beta test has given me a chink of light about a supposed daughter that registered her father's death in 1924. In 1911 she is listed as Olive May Doughty Step daughter bn Great Yarmouth - where as her mother is listed as married 3 yrs and has the Moxon surname.

I haven't looked on the marriage full listings but I know that I didn't see Alban Moxon listed when I looked previously so I thought I'd go from the "wifes" side. I found Olive May in 1901 in Great Yarmouth aged 2 months or so but her mother was listed as Emma from Bedfordshire whereas 1911 she is Emily from Crediton Devon!?? I wondering now if they are the same person or if it is a horrid coincidence!
    Last edited by Bo the Bodger; 22-12-08, 13:09. Reason: whittering on - not focussed.
    Bo

At present: Marshall, Smith, Harding, Whitford, Lane (in and around Winchcomb).

My great gran Helene Kuhles was married to Matthew Moran who died and she then married my great grandad James Moran (Matt's brother) in 1921 under the name of Helene Moran if that helps.
    Hail Spode!

Comment

Correctly its the name you currently have

so Miss Brown marries Mr Black = Mrs Black

Mr Black dies , so Mrs Black then marries Mr Green
      Jess

Comment

Many thanks both - I'll search under the name of Doughty for Emma and Emily!
        Bo

Comment

That is the norm but when I married for the second time I refused to be married in my first husbands name, Although no relation it was the same as the maiden name of the first wife of my second husband.:D
          Vivienne passed away July 2013

Comment

I too married the 2nd time in my maiden name as I changed my name back after my divorce.
            Lynne

Searching for Ford, Duffy, (Manchester and Ireland) Cree (Manchester, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire), Owen (Manchester), Humphreys (Manchester and Ireland), Egerton (Manchester and Cheshire), Cresswell (Manchester).

Comment

Now its more the norm that divorced women revert to maiden name, but in the past I don't think they would have so much and certainly widowed women would keep same name.
              ~ with love from Little Nell~
              Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Must admit, I reverted back to my maiden name also when I got divorced, but what I have noticed whilst researching is that if any of my rellies were widowed or divorced (I have 1 I was surprised to see !!) they stayed with married name if they remarried

Comment

I would say a lot depended on whether they had children or not - the widowed Mrs Bloggs wouldn't want to be known as Miss Smith if she had ten children!

OC

Comment

Well I've just done a trawl through the marriages of all Emma, Ellen, Emily and Maud Doughtys from 1905 to 1911 and drawn a big blank :( I took the details from the full register and then put the date, area vol and page into the other search area and zilch. I'm beginning to think that perhaps they weren't married - just been living together for 3 years! I'll search from 1901 later. I didn't think I'd seen an Alban Henry Moxon listed in the full register when I looked before.
                    Bo

Comment

My father's wife married under her late husband's name and has retained it, preferring not to take my father's name, she claims it was out of respect for my late mother. That's fine by me as she is also called Jill and it would have been too much to have her known by my birth name.

Comment

Working...
                      X