1911 - my nan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 - my nan

Help, I cant understand this. My nan, Emma Hanson born 1891- Camberwell. Ive found her family, mum, dad, the kids all together but not her! Ive found an Emma Hanson living with a "brother" called George Hanson but she never had a bro called George and anyway he is too old to be a bro. Also, no age given for that Emma in Chelsea. She married my grandad James Horstead in 1920 and her cert shows her as a spinster.

NOW, Ive paid to see the image of the family in case she had been left off the transcript and she isnt there. But the weird thing is, under the number of kids born live and still living is "5" but with her that would be 6. Is it just a slip of the pen or what?

How certain are you that you've found the right family? Remember the number of children is the number of children born in that marriage, so maybe she wasn't?
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Redacted

Comment

In 1901 are they James and Maria with children James, Florence, Emma, Ethel, Arthur and Henry? So she's a middle child? When did James and Maria marry?

Comment

This "brother" she is with......is he called James George Hanson in 1911? If he is, then he is either the son of a James and Emma or a Henry and Emma, two couples living in Bethnal green. These seem to be their sons:

Births Jun 1879
          Hanson James George Bethnal Green 1c 273
          Hanson James George Bethnal Green 1c 246

James and Emma also have a daughter called Emma aged 1 in 1881. She is a twin to her brother James, so the second birth reg above is that George as there's Emma's reg there too.

How certain are you of the age of Emma in 1911? (not yours, the one you have found!)

Comment

The other couple also have a dau called Emma. She's 14 in 1881.

Comment

James and Emma's dau Emma died:

Deaths Dec 1885
              HANSON Emma Elizabeth 6 Bethnal Green 1c 147

(that's the twin)

Comment

The other Emma seems to have got married:

Marriages Jun 1886
                BROWN William Hackney 1b 668
                Fisher Elizabeth Hackney 1b 668
                Hanson Emma Jane Hackney 1b 668
                PULLENG Samuel Hackney 1b 668

So, we need to see if the Emma who died in 1885 was followed by another sister called Emma.

Comment

Right, I've found James and Emma (parents) in 1901 indexed as Harson. They have two sons at home, one of whom is James George, and no daughters, so I can't see who this Emma is who has appeared by 1911! lol

Comment

I've just realised you said there's no age for James George's sister. I wonder if they were a couple "living in sin" rather than bro and sister and they got a bit panicky about the Q about length of marriage?

Doesn't explain why your Emma is missing, though if she was elsewhere her father might have thought he should only include the children on the census form in his numbers. (Or maybe he had forgotten how many children he had, or maybe Emma was there but he missed her out and then counted the names rather than thinking!! lol)

Comment

What about Emma Hanson aged 22 living at Greenwich? Could she be yours? I can't see an Emma aged 2ish in 1891 around London.

Comment

That's odd.....you said your Emma was born in 1891 in Camberwell. Where's her birth reg then? I could only find this one:

Births Dec 1889
                        Hanson Emma Camberwell 1d 930

(when I was looking for a possible birth reg for the 22 year old from the 1911 census!)

Comment

Thanks girl, sorry I was fiddling about buying my sister some jogging trousers from M and S on line

You know I just looked and as this would have been one of my very first entries, I dont seem to have a certificate for her ?? Ive gone by her age in the 1901. James and Maria Taylor married 1884.

1901 census:
                          33 Coopers Row, Camberwell

Arthur Hanson 6 Lambeth, London, England Son Camberwell London
                          Emma Hanson 10 Lambeth, London, England Daughter Camberwell London
                          Ethel Hanson 8 Lambeth, London, England Daughter Camberwell London
                          Florence Hanson 12 Lambeth, London, England Daughter Camberwell London
                          Henry Hanson 4 Lambeth, London, England Son Camberwell London
                          James Hanson 40 Southwark, London, England Head Camberwell London
                          James Hanson 14 Lambeth, London, England Son Camberwell London
                          Maria Hanson 38 Newington, London, England Wife Camberwell London
                          Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 20-12-08, 18:35.

Comment

I can't see any of them in 1891. Have you found James and Maria on that one?

Comment

1901 says Lambeth rather than Camberwell! (Still can't see a birth reg)

Comment

In 1881 they are entered as Hawson. But I havent got the 1891 listed on my FTM

Comment

I guess this is her sister?

Births Jun 1888
                                  HANSON Florence Maria Camberwell 1d [9_]21

She is on Findmypast aged 3 and there is a Maria in the house with her, but I can't find them on Ancestry.

Oh, and there's an Emma in the same house aged 2!!!!! lol

Comment

So, my money is on your Emma having been born in 1889 and is 22 in 1911 and living at Greenwich! lol

Comment

1891 census - page missing on Ancestry.
                                      The reference from Findmypast is RG12 / 493 / 78 / 4

Ancestry goes from page 3 to page 5
                                      Elaine

Comment

Ohbless you everyone. Ive looked and looked for her on ancestry 1891. I was beginning to think I had a real mystery with her parents And 5 years work on her line was wasted. Just shows how easily you can make mistakes when you first start on this doesnt it and then you dont look back to see the missing bits.

Ill have a go at the Greenwich one. Many thanks

Comment

Working...
                                        X