Which Elijah killed a pedestrian?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Elijah killed a pedestrian?

In the Times Archive there is a reference to an Elijah Wayman, a Carman in 1866 driving a cart in Shoreditch and mowing down a pedestrian and killing him. He was apparently going at the reckless speed of 6 miles per hour (the victim obviously didn't have a chance at that speed ).

Anyway I might have an Elijah Wayman in my tree born c1833 in Cambridge (you folks helped me find a couple of months ago).

On the 1861 and 1871 censuses there are only 3 results to my search of Eli* Wayman, male.

One a Shoemaker in Gloucestershire
    One a Labourer/Bricky in Cambridge later Camberwell (my one)
    The other a Soldier in Farnborough later a Barman in Northumberland

Can anyone

a: find another elijah wayman that was a Carman
    b: confirm my thought's that my Eli moonlighted as a carman and killed a man
    c: hypothosize

Cheers
    Hail Spode!

And you thought White Van Man was a modern phenomenon.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Guy

I would have thought it unlikely a shoemaker would also be a carman - the two don't really go together.

Have you traced all three forward to 1901 to see if their occupations change at all?

Not necessarily moonlighting either, people changed their occupations more often than we think, and did whatever brought in a wage.

I also have a criminal motorist in my family in the 1860s - driving a horse and carriage with two passengers - a lady and a woman, lol, - he took the bend a bit sharp, collided with an iron post and the Lady was thrown out and killed. The fate of the woman is not recorded.

OC

Comment

Nasty! sounds like people were flying about and being squished all over the place in those days.

Ah here we go, 1891 my Elijah's a carman (after being a park keeper). Off to check on the other eli's...
        Hail Spode!

Comment

Working...
        X