Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1911 census beta test

I got a sneak preview of 1911 sensus off findmypast just now
    the link was ...... link removed - see post #30 for access..... but no idea if it will work for anyone else.
    they only have london middlesex wiltshire and staffordshire there so not much use to me until more counties are up there. but i could see one family of mine in london. I didnt pay to view the census so dont know how that works at all.
    all they asked was for me to fill in a questionnnaire afterwards which i did and it was easy.
    angelina

I have removed the link from this post as it is against the Ts and Cs of the beta site to publicise the web address.
    Elaine (Admin)
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 19-12-08, 18:52.
    Angelina

It's not going to be cheap!

Payment and prices
    How much does it cost to look at a transcript or original page?

It costs 10 credits to view a transcript and 30 credits to look at all the historical documents relating to a single household or institution. The cost of each credit varies from 8p to 12p, depending on the package you buy. For example, if you buy the smallest package with 12p credits, you pay £1.20 to view a transcribed page and £3.60 to view an original page, whereas if you buy the largest package with 8p credits it is 80p to view a transcript and £2.40 for the original pages.
    Elaine

Comment

oooh!!
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

If anyone is desperate for those counties it looks as if you can buy some credits and view the transcriptions/images.
        Elaine

Comment

That's expensive, isn't it?

I have quite a few London ancestors but am having trouble tracing them on the beta site so far. Only found one spinster lady, so I don't know if they display the rest of the household as they do on Ancestry - anyone found out yet? (I appreciate that this is not the final version).
          Helen

(searching amongst others for
          BADGER, HALL/JOHNSON, KEY, KING, MURPHY, NEUMANN/NEWMAN AND VALE)

Comment

I think it just displays the one person you are searching for.
            I have done a search for my grandmother Hannah Bradley and she shows up living in Stepney. I then searched for other members of the same family and on each search you only seem to get the one name - not the household.
            Elaine

Comment

Oh I have found quite a few.

OH has just walked in and at that moment I had just found his grandfather Percy Gerald Newton in Wandsworth!

I haven't paid to see the images though. I have a FMP subscription and I had hoped that I would be covered under that. It is up for renewal half way through January, so it will be interesting to see if they offer a subscription that covers the 1911 census.
              Elizabeth
              Research Interests:
              England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
              Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Initially it will be pay per view only but they don't say for how long.
                Elaine

Comment

I reckon it will be ppv until they have recouped their set up costs!

It will be a few years, I should think, before 1911 is offered as part of a subscription package on any site, as ONS has a financial interest.

OC

Comment

How interesting!

I have found a little enclave of my Mum's Purkis family (including her father and grandparent) in Wandsworth. Plus another branch of the family.

What is surprising was that my great-grandfather was still in the Royal Navy and they came from the Portsmouth/Southsea area!

(It's helpful that my great-grandmother's full name is on there - Jessie Jane Eliza Purkis! Not much mistaking that!)
                    Last edited by Elizabeth Herts; 19-12-08, 15:58.
                    Elizabeth
                    Research Interests:
                    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
                    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

you can do a "also in the household" search. This has helped me narrow down some families and who is still alive/living at home etc
                      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

You have to laugh, don#t you!

Just done a search and found first household with an error already. East Molesey transcribed as East Motesey!
                        ~ with love from Little Nell~
                        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Ive just found a brilliant name: William James (as first name) Mundy Dan Lipton (surname!
                          Robyne

Comment

There are 101 things I should be doing, and I have now become totally absorbed in this.

It's very odd that my Mum's Purkis family and OH's Newton family are both in Wandsworth! When I actually view the images I will have to check to see how close they live.
                            Elizabeth
                            Research Interests:

Comment

Oh joy! My Norfolk grandfather Jeuel, mistranscribed 1881, 1891 and 1901 is also wrong here - Jenet!

Comment

anyone know yet how you do a wildcard on surnames? i just know from BMD records that there is a family in London yet i cant find them with any of the variations i can think of!
                                Robyne

Comment

You're not wrong about it being expensive, last night I purchased 240 credits for £24.95 valid for 365 days, today I only have 54 credits left (don't tell hubby) and from that I have managed to find 4 definite families and saved the pages. I have been viewing the original images and you get to see the whole household but not any neighbours as each form was filled in and signed by the head of household. I've found some interesting gems like one 2 x gt grandma who says she'd had 9 children whereas I can only account for 6, so that gives us some more to search for. I've also annoyingly found some forms where the columns about number of years married and number of children are left completely blank. Also come across a few glaringly obvious mistranscriptions, did you know there was a place in Essex called Bomford??? Still, it's great fun, and a perfect way to pass the long dark evenings, even if I am way behind on my christmas wrapping etc. I can see the credit card taking another bashing tonight as I can feel the urge already to top up those credits and carry on looking for those elusive rellies!
                                  :D Carolyn

Comment

by the way, dont waste your credits on the transcript unless you arent bothered about having all the information. it only gives you names, DOB, age, occupation, marital status, place of birth and relation to head. If you want to know the years married or children information you have to get the image
                                    Robyne

Comment

I've found my grandparents and 4 of my Norfolk great-uncles - easy to do, as used surname plus very rare birthplace (miraculously NOT mistranscribed).

Off to do a bit more now.

Comment

I'm printing out all the pages of hits.

Luckily the ones I have found so far are definites.

I shall collect them up and tot up how much it's going to cost me.

You can find Staffordshire and Wiltshire relatives, too.
                                        Elizabeth
                                        Research Interests:

Comment

Working...
                                        X