Further to my Yorkshire thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Further to my Yorkshire thread.

Thought I'd start a new thread here and see if amyome can help.

This is very patchy so I don't want anyone taking time off more important jobs....

I have the will of George Naylor (died 1806). I don't have a birth for George but he married Elizabeth Eyre 14th May 1795.
    Their address was Marsh House, Liversedge, Birstall, York.

They had two children George b 1796 (died before 1806) and Elizabeth 1797. She went on to marry Myles Ariel.

I'm trying to find any info on the family members mentioned in the will.

George Naylor's sister Sarah Pogmore.

George Naylor's brother Thomas Naylor (who had several children, but only Joshua is mentioned by name).

George's sister-in-law Johanna Linfitt. Also George's brother-in-law William Linfitt. I'm thinking Johanna may have been George's wife's sister???

George's brother-in-law Benjamin Robinson.

Cousins.......Ann Priestly, Sarah Fotherby, Ann Roafitt (wondering it that is Linfitt).

All were around Measborough??? Wakefield, Liversedge, West Molton??? etc.

Can anyone tell me where (or if I should even start) looking online for any of these people.

I can't seem to find much on FamilySearch that matches.

Thank you.

Might be worth checking TNA for wills and property transactions, and Google book search for mentions in magazines and such like.

Comment

From Leeds Mercury, Sept 16, 1815 - marriage announcement

On Tuesday last, at St. John's church, Wakefield, Mr M Ariel of Bristol, to Miss Naylor, daughter of the late George Naylor, Esq, formerly of Wakefield.

The address ('House') tells us these are well off people. As is anyone with 'Esq' after their name.

Maybe some of your West Yorks placenames are now swallowed into districts of Wakefield (Large West Yorks city)? And Bristol is the other end of England so may make it harder to trace them all.

Another thought - there is some speculation where Charlotte Bronte got the name 'Eyre' from, for her famous character, Jane Eyre. Her closest friend was Ellen Nussey - of Birstall, who she visited often and corresponded with constantly, throughout life. I found this site re. Ellen Nussey which gives you a couple of pics of Birstall

Could be your ancestor inspired a famous novel!

Here there's mention of Eyres and a place near Birstall, Morton - wonder if that's your 'Molton' place?

Last edited by Penelope; 18-12-08, 21:52.

Comment

Thanks Penelope and Mary.

Mary.............I've checked for wills and there are a few possibles, but as i ahve no more info that what I've put above, I would probably need great luck to get the right ones. I also don't know how I would tell even with the wills.

Penelope.......I have the Naylor/Eyre marriage. That is OH's gg grandparents. Myles Ariel came from Bristol, married Elziabeth Naylor and they were back in Bristol before baby number one arrived.

Yes there was money all round with this lot. Some of these early wills leave many properties and many thousands of pounds.

The George Naylor/ Eliaabeth Eyre marriage is in Google Books.

Comment

You could try the Yorkshire parish and probate records on Ancestry:

Search Yorkshire, England: Parish and Probate Records - Ancestry.co.uk
          Yorkshire, England: Parish Records - Ancestry.co.uk

Comment

There's a William Linfitt, woolstapler of Wakefield, here:

Gazette Website: PDF Navigator
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-12-08, 22:27.

Comment

Thank you, Mary.......nothing I can find in the PRs on Ancestry.

But my Bill was a woolstapler........back soon.

Comment

Mary....I'd say that's him as the name, place and occ is correct.

What is that site??? I can't do anything with it except view that page.

Thanks.

Comment

Sorry, it's the Gazette:

Home

Comment

Ooooh Libby!!! Mad wives in the attic! Didn't we play with that idea ages ago?

OC

Comment

OC.................This was before Agatha was borned....lol

It is the will of one of her grandfathers though.

Be nice to me OC...............I have no idea what I'm doing here. I'm working back, forwards and sideways all at once because I only have a tiny window from the will.

Comment

Was George a woolstapler too?

Bond for performance DD4/18/254 9 Mar 1791

These documents are held at Yorkshire Archaeological Society

Contents:
                        Jeremiah Carter of Pudsey, parish Calverley, woolstapler and George Naylor of Wakefield, woolstapler are bound to Rt. Hon Thomas Lord Grey de Wilton in penal sum of £135 etc
                        Re piece or parcel of land as staked out, 2R 28P - position given - in Dewsbury, Aldams close
                        (from TNA)

If so, and you think Jeremiah might be a relation, you can find the Calverley and Pudsey PRs here:

A repository of genealogical and historical data concerning the villages of Calverley Parish in Yorkshire
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 19-12-08, 00:13.

Comment

Will of Daniel Naylor, Mason of High Town in the parish of Birstal, Yorkshire. Proved in the Court of York. December 15 1809 IR 26/432
                          This will might be worth getting. The guy who was in partnership with George also lived in High Town.

There are several other wills for Naylors in the Wakefield area, too.

Comment

Thanks Mary..............I have nothing on George apart from his marriage 1795 to Elizabeth Eyre. That is in Google Books.....just the mention that George Naylor married the daughter of Mr Eyre, a gentleman of this city (Birstall).

Then I have his will.

His wife went to Bristol and lived with her daughter and son-in-law, Myles and Elizabeth Ariel.

Comment

As a matter of interest, did you know there was a Clifton about 5 miles from Birstall? No idea if there's any connection with the one near Bristol.

The PRs are included in Hartshead parish, and you can find the Hartshead PRs here, including a William Naylor of Birstall:

Full text of "Publications"

The OCR'd text isn't very accurate, so you may need to download the pdf version.

Comment

I wonder if this William was related to your George?

WM. NAYLOR
                                Male
                                Marriages:
                                Spouse: ISABEL CROSLEY
                                Marriage: 21 MAY 1789 Hartshead, Yorkshire, England

Lease and mortgage relating to land at Whitley DDCL/2822 21-22 May 1779

1 Item

Contents:
                                Parties: 1) Jonathan Crosley of New Laiths, maltster and Alice his wife (a daughter of Anthony Beaumont) 2) George Naylor of Wakefield, woodstapler Property: half part of barn, Spofard Garth, The Ing, four Bateman Closes, Intack, two Whitefield Closes, Pollack Close and the two closes adjoining the Whitefield containing 88 acres at Whitley Consideration: £400 Witnesses: John Bayldon and James Baildon
                                Last edited by Mary from Italy; 19-12-08, 00:57.

Comment

Ooh!

Final agreement relating to lands at Whitley DDCL/2820 1799

2 pieces

Contents:
                                  Parties: 1) John Broomhead, plaintiff 2) Jonathan Crosley and Alice his wife, deforceants Property: moiety of 1 barn, 60 acres land, 15 acres meadow, 20 acres pasture, common of pasture and turbary with appurtenances at Whitley Consideration: £60

Comment

Is this one of yours?

[no title] 157 DD/2P/28/211 26 July "1666"

Contents:
                                    Indenture, assignment of lease
                                    (1) Alice Robotham of Kirkby, widow
                                    (2) Elizabeth Eyre of Kirkby, widow
                                    Of lease from Duke of Newcastle for 21 years dated 16 July before.
                                    Of messuage and Croft Close and the Close of 3 ac. 2r.
                                    21 years. £3 p.a.
                                    Mark, tag, seal of (1)

Comment

Somebody who's submitted entries to the LDS evidently thinks there's a connection with Bristol, although they've got their wires crossed:

6. William Naylor - International Genealogical Index
                                      Gender: Male Marriage: 21 MAY 1789 <Bristol, , Yorkshire, England
                                      9. WM. NAYLOR - International Genealogical Index
                                      Gender: Male Marriage: 21 MAY 1789 Hartshead, Yorkshire, England
                                      11. William Naylor - International Genealogical Index
                                      Gender: Male Marriage: 21 MAY 1789 Birstall, Yorkshire, England

Comment

Mary...........

I've seen the IGI submitted entries.......and sort of discarded them....lol

The others look interesting.....obviously I'm not great at searching the right places or ways....

There are a stack of George Naylors in Yorkshire for a start and I know my fellow left money to two non-con churches, one in Clayton?? and the one his children were baptised in at Cleckheaton.

The Broomhead looked familiar, but I was thinking of Bromehead.....remember Mary Bompiani mentioned them in her will. This George Naylor is her grandfather.

Also Elizabeth Eyre of Kirkby..........now....bear with me........

Elizabeth Kirkby of Lancs married William Ariel of Bristol. Their son, Myles Ariel of Bristol married Elizabeth Naylor (daughter of Eliz Eyre) at Wakefield.

Seemed to be a lot of going up north to find a bride.............lol

Don't know what that means, but I'll think about it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X