Occupation on death certificate following inquest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Occupation on death certificate following inquest

I have a death certificate dated 1959, issued after an inquest.

The deceased is described as a "Liftman" - yet other documents referring to the deceased at the time describe him as an "Insurance Agent/Official".

I just wondered where the Coroner would have got his information from ( I suspect that the Coroner is correct and the other documents are wrong!)
    Joan died in July 2020.

He could (by a leap of the imagination) be a lift inspector employed by an insurance company. He didn't meet his death in/on/under a lift, did he?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle John View Post
      He could (by a leap of the imagination) be a lift inspector employed by an insurance company. He didn't meet his death in/on/under a lift, did he?
      Thanks, UJ - I hadn't thought of that!

The cause of death was "Fractured left knee joint, clavicle & skull, struck by private motor car in street" - verdict- "accidental"

His address is given as 38 Cumberland Street, London, which I thought might have been a hotel, but I have got nowhere looking into that!

He was the adopted son of a certain HW Wicks and I have discovered documents written by HW alleging that the death was no accident.
      Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

*steps back smartly*
        Not the H W Hicks??
        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

38 Cumberland Street London - Google Maps

Im assuming you saw this Joan

Comment

Muggins

He may not have been a lift operator in a hotel, but in a block of flats or offices.

The Coroner would, I think, have got his information from a family member, via some means or other - maybe actually AT the inquest? Have you found a newspaper report?

OC

Comment

Yes, UJ - THE HW Wicks! - LOL

I hadn't seen that Val - thank you

OC thanks - I haven't yet found a newspaper report but am still looking!
              Last edited by Muggins in Sussex; 19-12-08, 07:43.
              Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

The Coroner would have received the information from either the police as a result of their investigation, the person who identified the body, a family member, or another witness who knew this information first hand. Any of these would have given this information at the inquest.
                If no inquest then the Coroner would have been informed of this by the Coronor's Officer (a police officer) who would have received the information during their enquiries.
                Last edited by keldon; 19-12-08, 09:58.
                Phil
                historyhouse.co.uk
                Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Many thanks for that, Phil
                  Joan died in July 2020.

Comment

Working...
                  X