Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish name help please

Hi

I have an Irish family who came over to the UK between 1868 and 1870. In the UK the parents are Patrick Hanley and Mary Ann Hanley (MN McGrady and variants from birth certs).

From the baptism register the parents names are Patricius Hanley and Maria Anna McGrady. I take it that i accept these to be the true names and that they adapted them when coming to the UK?

many thanks
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

You're looking at registers where the names have been rendered in Latin!

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

so does that mean his "real" name could be either? although if im looking for the baptism their name will be down as the Latin version im guessing?
      Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Comment

The "real" names would be Patrick and Mary Ann(e). They were probably lucky not to have the surname garbled into "Hanleus" or something!

It was just that there have been spells of time - especially under Roman Catholic authority - when registers were required to be written in Latin. (Not all the clergy were up to that, really, so some of it is a bit dire.)

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Roman Catholic registers are still written in Latin today.

Their every day names were Patrick and Mary Anne. No one would call them Patricius or Maria Anna in speech and the only time you will see that spelling is in a church register.

OC

Comment

thanks very much for that. im guessing that if i am looking for their baptism they will be down with the latin names?
            Robyne

Comment

Working...
            X