Lincolnshire Village Gurus Needed Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lincolnshire Village Gurus Needed Please

I am trying to establish if Long Ludford exists.

It states this place on 1861 and 1971 census as the birth place for Sarah Dixon, however, I managed to obtain a birth cert for her which says she is from Ludford Parva. I did a search on the internet and the only names that come up are Ludford, Ludford Parva and Ludford Magna. I need to find out if long ludford is/was a real place so that I can figure out if I have the right birth cert.

The census for 1881 just said Lincolnshire, and the 1991 said Ludford.

Many thanks if you can help.
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

There are some mentions of the manor of Long Ludford in The National Archives catalogue.
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Thanks Kite, that's the first of heard of it. I will take a look.
      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Hi Jules

I have just done a search on google earth for Long Ludford and it seems the Ludford Parva and Magna are under the single name of Ludford. Sorry if this doesn't help much.

Martin.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimi Hendrix II View Post
          Hi Jules

I have just done a search on google earth for Long Ludford and it seems the Ludford Parva and Magna are under the single name of Ludford. Sorry if this doesn't help much.

Martin.
          Yes that's what I've found too. This family tree thing isn't that easy it is LOL.

The National Archives that Kiterunner pointed out are the only place that's mentioned Long Ludford, and it didn't help much, just makes me wonder if I actually have the correct birth cert.
          Jules

Comment

Did Sarah marry? If so her marriage certificate will show her father's name and occupation which will help confirm if you have the right birth certificate.
            Elaine

Comment

If you use this link

Then scroll down to Willwright William it mentions Long Ludford along with other Lincolnshire villages

Martin

Comment

You have to bear in mind that if she were born in a very small hamlet it's quite feasible that a census/birth entry will often give the name of the nearest reasonably sized township.

As said above Ludford is the collective name for the two small places known as Ludford Parva and Ludford Magna.

Ludford is just yards north of a disused airfield and a few yards west of the Viking Way, it's not inconceivable that Long Ludford could have stood where the airfield is now, possibly even an estate/farm with workers housing on the grounds or nearby.
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
                My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
                My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

I think you will find it was a farm/estate, look on the a2a section of the TNA site and there is a reference to documents at Lincs Archives

and sixteen cottages with gardens, and 12 ac. pasture and 6 ac. arable land in Long Ludford, lately part of the possessions of Thomas Moyne, attainted of high treason.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                    I think you will find it was a farm/estate, look on the a2a section of the TNA site and there is a reference to documents at Lincs Archives

and sixteen cottages with gardens, and 12 ac. pasture and 6 ac. arable land in Long Ludford, lately part of the possessions of Thomas Moyne, attainted of high treason.
                    Ah, so Long Ludford could have been a farm/hamlet or whatever in Ludford Parva? I am really hoping I've got the right birth cert. I have a marriage cert for her and the father on that and the marriage cert is named as William, but the problem I am having is with the maiden name of her mother, the birth cert says Wright, but I'm still not 100% sure I've got it right. The marriage cert has completely the wrong occupation for the husbands father. He was a co-owner of a shipbuilding firm in Grimsby before and after the date of the marriage cert, and is shown as being a blacksmith.

Does this make any sense?
                    Jules

Comment

Also, on the marriage cert her father is a coach maker but on the birth cert he is a labourer.
                      Jules

Comment

Hunting through the description of the document it looks like some conveyance between Thomas Moyne and Charles Dallyson along with other papers from Charles Dallyson.

Just east of the airfield, across the Viking Way is a small wooded area called Dally Acre...

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Originally posted by Glen in Tinsel Knickers View Post
                          Hunting through the description of the document it looks like some conveyance between Thomas Moyne and Charles Dallyson along with other papers from Charles Dallyson.

Just east of the airfield, across the Viking Way is a small wooded area called Dally Acre...
                          Where on earth do you get these bits of information. I couldn't find anything for Long Ludford !!

Thanks x
                          Jules

Comment

[QUOTE=JulesSmith;1518495]Ah, so Long Ludford could have been a farm/hamlet or whatever in Ludford Parva? QUOTE]

It's likely that Kite is refering to the same document i mentioned, i sometimes find that A2A is easier to search when you narrow down the repository where the documents are held.

I'm just checking a Lincs CD i have for anything else that might be useful.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

[QUOTE=Glen in Tinsel Knickers;1518513]
                              Originally posted by JulesSmith View Post
                              Ah, so Long Ludford could have been a farm/hamlet or whatever in Ludford Parva? QUOTE]

It's likely that Kite is refering to the same document i mentioned, i sometimes find that A2A is easier to search when you narrow down the repository where the documents are held.

I'm just checking a Lincs CD i have for anything else that might be useful.
                              You're a star, thanks Glen
                              Jules

Comment

Originally posted by JulesSmith View Post
                                I have a marriage cert for her and the father on that and the marriage cert is named as William, but the problem I am having is with the maiden name of her mother, the birth cert says Wright, but I'm still not 100% sure I've got it right. The marriage cert has completely the wrong occupation for the husbands father. He was a co-owner of a shipbuilding firm in Grimsby before and after the date of the marriage cert, and is shown as being a blacksmith.

Does this make any sense?
                                What was the name of her husband. I would be concerned with the discrepancy of his father's occupation.

There seem to be two Sarah Dixons born about the same time in the Louth registration district.
                                Sarah Dixon 1851 Oct-Nov-Dec Louth
                                Sarah Ann Dixon 1853 Jan-Feb-Mar Louth
                                - which birth certificate do you have?
                                Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
                                  What was the name of her husband. I would be concerned with the discrepancy of his father's occupation.

There seem to be two Sarah Dixons born about the same time in the Louth registration district.
                                  Sarah Dixon 1851 Oct-Nov-Dec Louth
                                  Sarah Ann Dixon 1853 Jan-Feb-Mar Louth
                                  - which birth certificate do you have?
                                  This was my concern also. Frustrating that the birth cert I have lists William and Elizabeth as the parents (I know these names are correct).

I picked up the 1851 cert. sub-district Binbrooke. Mother maiden name is Wright, but I can only find a marriage to William Dixon and Elizabeth Stapleton for about the right time.

I suppose I will have to buy the other birth cert too.
                                  Jules

Comment

Sarah Dixon's husband is John Bannister Smith on the marriage cert it only states John Smith. Just when you think you are getting somewhere.....
                                    Jules

Comment

What was the address on the 1851 certificate?
                                      Elaine

Comment

as an afterthought, would anyone have access to Grimsby newspapers 1930 ? I have a pic torn from a paper celebrating Sarah and JB Smith's 60th anniversary, but I don't have the whole thing so I don't know what paper it would have come from. is there a way of find out just from have the year and names the piece was put in? It might have some other details on it.
                                        Jules

Comment

Working...
                                        X