Lost in Yorkshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost in Yorkshire

I'm trying to tie up some lose ends from a will and am completely lost.

I've tried Genuki and Wiki.

The places are:
    Liversedge, West Molton, Clayton, Measborough, Wakefield.

Can anyone tell me which riding these are?????

Any idea of where any PRs might be online. I'm looking mainly at 1750s to early 1800s.

Thanks.

Could it be Masborough - that is near Rotherham. My great-great great grandparents were from there.
    Rotherham and Wakefield are West Riding,
    GENUKI: Alphabetical place list Contents
    gives a list of places in Yorkshire.
    Janet

please visit my blog http://2pdesignsfh.blogspot.co.uk/ ;)

Comment

Could be Masborough....it's from a will of 1806. The writing's a bit hard to read...lol

So all those places would be West Riding???

Comment

Yes I think they all could be - can't see West Molton, but there is West Melton or West Morton ? plenty of Claytons.
        Janet

please visit my blog http://2pdesignsfh.blogspot.co.uk/ ;)

Comment

Janet...............the only reference I have to Clayton is the Independant Chapel of Clayton.................they should be all fairly close..(I think).

I'll check the West Molton/Melton/Morton and see if I can work it out.

Thanks.

Comment

HI

Liversedge and Wakefield are all in the West Riding of Yorkshire. Liversedge is also known to have been spelt as Liversidge - see this site for Liversedge

Liversedge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A lot of the PR's are in Dewsbury Library in the Local History Department failure for that while the site is still active you could try the familyhistoryonline site that is slowly closing down and transferring to FMP.
            WendyP

Comment

Yes, they're all in the West Riding Libby
              Jeanette
              Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Maybe Measborough should be Mexborough, also in the West Riding.

Comment

Mary...I read it as Mexborough even though it says Maesborough :D
                  Jeanette

Comment

Thank you.......I'll see what I can find.

Not sure I like Yorkshire yet........reminds me of looking in Essex.......lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Patience of Pendle View Post
                      Yes I think they all could be - can't see West Molton, but there is West Melton or West Morton ? plenty of Claytons.
                      there is a malton brenda xxx

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                        Watch out Libby. You may face a Tykes' revolt!

I agree with all the suggestions so far.
                        Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Harrys mum View Post
                          Thank you.......I'll see what I can find.

:( *faints*
                          Jeanette

Comment

Me too Compare Yorkshire with Essex????????

Anne

Comment

Yes Anne, I think Libby should think herself lucky we can't reach her from here ;) :D
                              Jeanette

Comment

When you get into the 18thC, Yorkshire has the incomparable Dade baptism entries, not common anywhere else although sporadically used in a handful of parishes... which give you tonnes of info!

Also as it's England's biggest county, you're not faffing round going over county borders constantly, like in smaller counties - so you're more likely to get a long run of ancestors in the one county.

95% of my ancestors are in Yorkshire (100% on mum's side) and it makes life SO easy!

Comment

Sorry...................didn't mean to offend anyone.....

I know what you mean about borders changing.........I've been doing Bristol.......lol

So far I must admit to finding Lancs the easiest........although the area I was doing there has now become Cumbria so taht's changed as well.

The names I have seem to be the most common Yorkshire names as well.

So far I have found a Jack Horner, though, so that gave me a laugh. He was a baker.

Comment

Working...
                                  X