Where do I look now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do I look now?

I received the marriage certificate for my Great Great Grandparents today.

Unfortunately it doesn't give me much information.

I was hoping for their parents names to be on there....but nothing...not even where they were born.

Can anyone help me searching for anything about them.

This is all I know.

Francis MacDonald born abt 1823 possible New SOuth Wales....he was a Ship Master.

He married Isabella MacDOnald in Tasmania 30th March 1848....she was born abt 1826.....she was a convict born in Scotland.

The witnesses names were John MacDonald and Sarah Mac Donald.

They only had 2 children that I know of....one daughter in 1849 (name unknown) and my great Grandmother Isabella 1851.

On the bottom of the marriage certificate it says:

"Married according to the Rites and Ceremonies of THE CHURCH OF SCOTLAND by NOT STATED with consent of Not Stated.

What does that mean.

Any help would be very appreciated as I can't seem to get any further.

Can you find the death certificate of Francis McDonald?

I have one in 1860 in Victoria Australia that listed all the surviving children and I think it also had the parents names (not sure about that).

A possible clue is Church of Scotland but there are several Francis McDonald's born in Scotland c1823 on the IGI.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Isabella was born in Scotland...I don't think Francis was.

I have no idea when either of them died...and I don't know what state in Australia they were in when they died.

I haven't been able to find a death for either of them in Tasmania.

Comment

Francis's middle name was William if that is a help.

Comment

Was Isabella a McDonald also or have they just put her married name.

Can't find a Francis William McDonald in Scotland or Australia on the IGI.
          Last edited by JBee; 18-12-08, 02:57.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Her maiden name was MacDonald too.

This is the problem I keep having...I can't find them anywhere.

Comment

I've got a Shaw that married a McDonald in Smeaton, Victoria c 1860's but haven't found an Isabella or Francis. Mind you I haven't found their deaths either just her father's in 1860.

I don't know what else to suggest as I'm ofay with Aussie records.

Comment

If the marriage was 1848, I should think it would be just a registration of the church marriage record, which recorded far less information than civil registration.

Have you tried the convict records ? The Tasmanian Archives Office website shows them in the Convicts Permission to Marry. Isabella arrived per the Woodbridge, but Franics was "free", that is not a convict. The Woodbridge departed London 3 Sep 1843 and arrived in Hobart on 25 Dec 1843. It also notes her surname as Fraser.

If i were you I would look more at the Tasmanian Archives site:
                Archives Search Portal
                Diane
                Sydney Australia
                Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

This website

Shows that Isabella Fraser, alias McDonald, per Woodbridge, died 16 Mar 1850, aged 50 - but that cannot be correct as you said Isabella the daughter was born in 1851 !!

Perhaps Isabella junior was BAPTISED in 1851, but born in 1850 and her mother died in childbirth. It would not be unusual for the age at death to be wrongly transcribed, maybe it should have been 30 or 26 ? somtimes they look like 50 if poorly recorded.

I am sure you could find more convict records for Isabella, by 1843, the bureaucracy generally recorded EVERYTHING about convicts. I would look under Isabella FRASER as well.

Diane
                  Diane
                  Sydney Australia

Comment

Now I am really confused.

I have looked up Isabella McDonalds convict record. (p77)

Archives Office of Tasmania – digitised record

ANd it makes no mention in her records of being known as Fraser as an alias....and I cant find and Isabella Fraser.

I will go and have another look.

Comment

I think that "not stated" bit will just mean it wasn't filled in.

I've come across quite a few 19th century men who acquired a middle name some time in adulthood; sometimes it is their father's name but sometimes not. So it could be that the William was added to his name after he entered Australia; in other words, don't discount any Francis MacDonald you may find who doesn't have a middle name.
                      KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                      (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

I have checked out both Isabella MacDonalds and the one also known as Fraser does not match the information I have on my Isabella.

Isabella Fraser (alias Macdonald) had 2 children when she came out and was 41 years old...so I can definately rule her out.
                        Last edited by flashieboy; 18-12-08, 12:43.

Comment

Well, thats good. I think that's the way you will have to go - chase down every Isabella and Francis Mcdonald and see if you can eliminate them as your ancestors, until there are only two left.

Another suggestion that has just come to mind, is to see if you can track down the Scots Church. Sometimes information recorded in the parish register did not get passed on to the civil registrar. It seems that civil registration started in 1838 in Tasmania, a lot earlier than the other colonies. I know some details from a NSW marriage, like parents of the parties, were recorded in the parish register but not in the civil one.

Do you think they stayed in Tasmania the rest of their lives, or moved to another colony (ie do you know about their daughter Isabella, her marriage, her death, her children etc etc).

Di
                          Diane
                          Sydney Australia

Comment

I know mostly everything about their daughter Isabella....she stayed in Tasmania and married Thomas Marshall and they had 9 children together.

I have been able to track most of that....I just can't find Francis or Isabella' movements after their Isabella was born.

I have checked all the cemeteries in Tasmania online and found nothing for them...I know that doesn't mean they didn;t stay here...but there appears to be no paper trail of where they went and what they did.

Comment

Working...
                            X