Another oddity in my tree

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another oddity in my tree

William Stephen Montgomery Smith qualified as a doctor 22 May 1890, England.
    The GRO indexes list a marriage for William Stephen M Smith and Margaret Ellen D Dixon Sep 1890, St Olave district, vol 1d p 555.

On the 1891 census of Canada, taken on the night of 6th April 1891, William is at Pincher Creek, Alberta, shown as single. Margaret isn't with him.

Then on 8th October 1891, William Stephen Montgomery Smith, a bachelor, married Margaret Ellen Dixon by licence at St. George's Anglican Church in Montreal.

Strange, isn't it? Any ideas why, please?

And can anybody find Margaret on the 1891 census, perhaps in England or Canada, lol? On the 1901 census (of England) her birthplace is given as London City and on the 1871 it is Middlesex, Shoreditch, and her name is given as Nellie. I haven't found her in 1881 but she isn't with her family on that one. (Her parents were John and Margaret and they are on the IOW in 1881 and 1891) She was born 11 Apr 1862 and baptised 20 Jul 1862 at St John the Baptist, Shoreditch.

And can anybody can find William or Margaret on a passenger list going to Canada between 1890 and 1891? William was born 21st Oct 1862 at Sutton, Surrey, and his occupation should be doctor or similar. I've spent quite some time looking but no luck yet!
    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

For the first question...........the only thing I can think of is that whoever employed William wanted a single man so he fibbed and pretended to meet Margaret after he got to Canada............doesn't make much sense though as most places seemed to want married couples or families.

Second question......I'll go take a look.

Comment

Immigrants to Canada in Nineteenth Century - Ships - Emigration Reports - Emigration Handbooks

just looking here

Well found 5 William Smiths arriving at Quebec in 1890 - none for 1891

William age 23 arrived 31/8/1890 on the Vancouver
      William age 17 arrived on 30/6/1890 on the Circassian
      William age 13 arrived on 9/8/1890 on the Sardinian
      Wiliam age 46 arrived on 16/5/1890 on the Vancouver
      William no age - arrived on 14/9/1890 on the Sardinian

Only 1 Margaret Smith age 27 arrived on 17/9/1890 on the Parisian

No Margaret Dixon's either
      Last edited by JBee; 18-12-08, 02:47.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks for looking. If only they had a rarer surname!
        KiteRunner

Comment

An interesting one Kite.

Only thing that springs to mind is might one of them have been a Roman Catholic - so they married in a registry office in England, and later married in a church in Canada?
          Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I know this sounds a bit feeble, but is it possible one of them lost the marriage cert and the difficulty of getting a replacement copy from England made them decide to just marry again in Canada?

OC

Comment

Originally posted by Janet in Yorkshire View Post
              An interesting one Kite.

Only thing that springs to mind is might one of them have been a Roman Catholic - so they married in a registry office in England, and later married in a church in Canada?
              The church in Canada was Anglican, though. His family definitely weren't Catholic and she was baptised at St John the Baptist, Shoreditch, which is listed as Anglican on GENUKI.

Originally posted by Olde Crone Holden View Post
              I know this sounds a bit feeble, but is it possible one of them lost the marriage cert and the difficulty of getting a replacement copy from England made them decide to just marry again in Canada?

OC

I suppose it's possible, but William seems to be listed on the 1891 Canada census as single (the column is called Married or Widowed, and it has an M for married, W for widowed, otherwise a dash, and he has a dash!)
              KiteRunner

Comment

I recall talking with someone locally whose parents been married several times (to each other) as a result of various situations arising in which the documentation had either been lost or was not recognised as authoritative by someone when it was needed.

1] In country village in Spain
                2] In British Consulate - because village record was not accessible and Spanish wife needed protection of British evacuation. The groom travelled with the navy and the bride in a civilian vessel.
                3] In England (?register office) because whichever of the two had held the cert was in a ship which was sunk en route to England, and the cert went down with the ship.
                4] In a Roman Catholic Church because none of the previous ceremonies could be verified (or recognised) by the priest when the children were to be baptised.

I think that was all of their ceremonies!

Christine
                Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Working...
                X