What are the chances?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the chances?

What are the chances of a couple getting married in 1858 and not having their first child until 1870? That would seem to be the case with one set of my 2x great grandparents

Opinions please
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Are you sure they didn't have children who died?

Comment

Have you found them together in 1861?

Comment

Could there have been older children that died as babies or early childhood?

Joanie

Comment

No, I aren't Merry. All I can say is there don't appear to be any births in the correct registration district....but it could be that they weren't registered
          Jeanette

Comment

Yes Merry....RG9; Piece: 787; Folio: 60; Page: 15
            Jeanette

Comment

Hiya Joanie There don't seem to be any appropriate deaths
              Jeanette

Comment

Sorry, OH interupted me I should have said it is Frederick and Susan Lock
                Jeanette

Comment

This is what I assume is their marriage

Dec 1858 Wandsworth 1d 707

The problem with checking it is that Frederick (if that was his name!) was illegitimate so there would be no father's name. I don't know for certain that Hunton was Susan's maiden name although I do know that she was called Susan and there is a Susannah/Susan Hunton born in Lowestoft that fits in nicely!

I believe Frederick was the illegitimate son of Hannah Lock 1817 Ridge, Herts and there is a baptism for a William Frederick Nicholl Lock on the IGI....hence I don't know what his real name is BUT my great grandfather was called Frederick William (known as William)
                  Jeanette

Comment

I would say you are best to get the birth certificate for the child born in 1870 to check what it says for Susan's maiden name.
                    KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
                    (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Yes, I think you're right Kite. I would have liked to have sent for my great Grandfather's birth cert but the reference doesn't appear to be there :(

Edited: Think I've found it now mistranscribed as Luck
                      Last edited by Jeanette In Yorkshire; 18-12-08, 09:06.
                      Jeanette

Comment

Perhaps he was away at sea, or in prison!! Perhaps there were a lot of miscarriages or perhaps they were just not very fertile.

Anne

Comment

My husband's father was an only child born 11 years after his parents got married - they married in 1907 he was born in 1918! As far as we can tell there wasn't any other pregnancies or children that died.
                          Last edited by Guest; 19-12-08, 08:00.

Comment

i have a couple had childrend after 9 years,but they could have adopted brenda xxx

Comment

My aunt and uncle were married for 26 years, no pregnancies. He left her for a much younger women and aunt discovered she was pregnant. He came back...and yes, it WAS his baby!

OC

Comment

My Great Grandparents Abraham Jones and Martha Morgan were married in 1886 but didn't have their first child untill 1899.
                                They had two further children, one being my grandfather in 1903.

I have always assumed that they had fertility problems but need to look at the non conformist records to check if their were any other children who died.

Allie
                                Researching Betton, Cook/Cooke, Fallows, Howell, Jones, Lewis, Morgan, Rogers, Weston. All in Shropshire.

Richards in Denbighshire.

Comment

So, not impossible then? They did go on to have 5 children altogether

OC....26 years? If I compare that to my relationship it would mean I would be getting pregnant now
                                  Jeanette

Comment

Jeanette

Yes, GP said it was a menopause baby, ovaries going for a last desperate effort! Aunt was 45, I think.

Nature can be very odd, can't it!

OC

Comment

Redacted

Comment

Working...
                                      X