Ledbury, Herefordshire - 1860-1875

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ledbury, Herefordshire - 1860-1875

From 1860-1875 surgeon William Griffin was living in New Street Ledbury between the Crown & Sceptre pub and the Police station. Neither of these places exist in New Street now, so I wonder if it's possible to identify the precise location. Any ideas?
    Paul Barton, Special Agent

Hear my themetune on http://www.turnipnet.com/radio/dickbarton.wav

The only thing I can think of is to compare an old map with a modern one. I would have thought that a police station would be marked on an old map if not a pub....but you never know!
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Hi Paul
      The description of the enumeration district in 1861 & 1871 includes the western side of the High St, New St & Southend St.
      From Microsoft Autoroute 2002 I have been able to locate No 9 New Street, Ledbury. Of course the street could have been renumbered since 1871. If you look at a modern street map of the area 4 roads almost form a square with Bye St to the north, Market St to the west, New St to the south and High St (which may not be named) to the east. No 9 is on the north side of the road between High St & Market St about a quarter of the way down from the High St junction. I hope this makes sense.
      Moggie

Comment

Hello Paul, I live in Ledbury! Will find out for you - I know that the old site of the Crown and Sceptre is now called Lanark House and is an Estate Agent.
        Last edited by sally; 18-12-08, 17:51.
        Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Paul - my husband will know exactly where these places were but he is out tonight. I will ask him tomorrow, and give you the exact location for both - if you would like photos then I can do that with pleasure. Would you like me to look in any graveyards?
          Sally - Researching amongst others, JOSEPHY; WRIGHTSON; COOPER; GLOVER; DOWNING AND DICKINSON.

Comment

Thank you Sally. Having studied the census pages I can see that the properties in New Street surrounding the Griffin family are as follows:

Crown & Sceptre no. 8
            Griffins No 9
            Police Station no. 10 (on 1861 census only)
            Ring of Bells no. 11

There is a Ring of Bells pub in New Street now, but it's number 27. So either the business relocated or the street numbering has changed. If that's the case, there are four properties between the sites of the two pubs when once there were two, so the Griffins' home would be either 19, 21 or 23.
            Last edited by Paul Barton, Special Agent; 19-12-08, 09:30.

Comment

Have messaged you Paul.

Comment

YOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO - Paul, please check your emails cos there is something for you. Hope that you will be pleased.

Unfortunately I can find no graves, but many of the stones are unreadable now.

Comment

Sally, that's absolutely brilliant. Only through Family Tree Forum could somebody get photographs of the home within 24 hours of finding it on the census! Thank you so much.
                  Last edited by Paul Barton, Special Agent; 21-12-08, 20:12.

Comment

Working...
                  X