Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why all the changes?

Hello

I have found my Wilson family on numerous directories in Belfast spanning 26 years and have backed this info up with the childrens baptisms which provides addresses for where they were living.

Now my question is, why did they move from house to house this amount of times but stayed in the same street?

1885 - 19 Malcolmson street
    1888 - 24 Malcolmson street - G Uncle born
    1889 - 24 Malcolmson street
    1891 - 26 Malcolmson street - G Uncle born
    1893 - 42 Malcolmson street - G Grandad born
    1897 - 31 Malcolmson street
    1901 - 42 Malcolmson street
    1907 - 52 Malcolmson street - The year my GG Grandad died William Wilson
    1910 - 36 Malcolmson street
    1911 - 77 McDonnell street - On 1911 Belfast census

Has anybody a clue why all the moving? Espeacially the move from 42 to 31 and then back to 42.

Danny
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Hi Danny

My first thought was that it was a street under construction and the house numbers kept changing as more houses were built. But I see what you mean about numbers 31 and 42 Maybe they were all owned by the same landlord and perhaps the houses were all different sizes and they moved according to how much space they needed to accommodate the kids???? Or maybe the landlord moved them about if he needed to refubish the house they were living in????

Having said that, you did say it was Ireland didn't you? :D ;)
    Jeanette
    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

Either they didn't move house, but the numbers changed - numbering was very haphazard until the GPO standardised it - or, they did move from house to house, because the rent was a bit cheaper/the house wasn't as damp/the house was bigger or smaller etc. etc.

Mine appear to have house-hopped in the same street over the censuses, but I actually wonder if they moved at all and whether it was just the house numbers that were changed, as they always seem to have the same neighbours.

OC

Comment

Yes it was Northern Ireland.

My first thought was also that perhaps that the numbers changed and not the houses, but after looking at the directories and seeing other families living in the numbers they moved back and forth i reckon it must have been for cheaper rent or bigger accomodation as you stated.

Danny
        http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

Comment

How many children were there? My great G randfather had about 8/10 children and kept moving within the same street in Cork in the 1850's and I know he often moved to a bigger house to accommodate all his children, and at one point was in one house with some of the family next door as well! The same thing happened with great g father on the other side, only he moved within one street and then the street next to his first abode on the Isle of Dogs in the 1880's. He had 10 children and the original house was not big enough! As his children flew the nest so he moved to the more affluent suburbs of West Ham Essex!

Janet

Comment

Working...
          X