Scotland research help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scotland research help please

Could someone possibly help me please. I have got a marriage certificate through for my birthday and it hasn't really helped me well i don't think it has anyway.
    It is for Alexander Ireland to Hilda Blanche Lawrence
    Alexander lived Perth and Hilda lived Eton (elon) Park can't quite read this.
    I know that Alexander was born 10.04.1890 in Scotland but when i look on ancestry there is a choice of 2 one being born 1890 and the other 1889. How would i go about getting his birth certificate please, or could someone tell me which one it is likely to be as i have no idea where Perth is compared to the other 2 places which are Broughty Ferry, Forfarshire and Darvel, Ayrshire.
    Any help would be really appreciated.
    Jen

Esiest way to place them for you

Ayrshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Perthshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Angus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

His birth cert (more accurately an extract from the register) can be downloaded from Scotlandspeople, for 5 credits (£1), the same applies to the census images too. Scottish certs have far more details than English ones.

Presumably the cert you have gives details for his father?

Our wiki gives a guide to using Scotlandspeople

and also to Scottish certificates
    Last edited by Glen in Tinsel Knickers; 17-12-08, 18:11.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
    My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
    My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Thankyou Glen, Yep i have his fathers name which is also Alexander. Will go and have a look and see if i can order his birth certificate with the rest of my birthday money.
      Jen

Comment

If you buy £6 of credits from Scotlandspeople you can download birth marriage and death certs as well as census info.

Hang on while I try and find father and son together in 1891

In 1891 in Broughty Ferry the father Alexander is a baker unemployed

In Ayrshire the Alexander is an Axminster Carpet weaver.

So what does it say on the marriage certificate about father's occupation?
        Last edited by JBee; 17-12-08, 18:34.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Thanks it says that he is deceased, he didn't marry until 1927. Not sure what the sons occupation is to see if he follows in his dads footsteps something like lap assistant. Just waiting for an email with account details so i can have a look.
          Jen

Comment

I was thinking it could possibly be the Broughton Ferry Alexander because his daughter my grandmother has the middle name Marguerite and this Alexander has a sister called Margaret.
            Jen

Comment

Unfortunately ancestry doesn't have the images only their version of a transcription.

However if they stayed in Scotland son Alexander's death certificate should give you the parents names including mother's maiden name.

Also if marriage was in scotland it should have both names too.

Researching Irish families: FARMER, McBRIDE McQUADE, McQUAID, KIRK, SANDS/SANAHAN (Cork), BARR,

Comment

Sons marriage took place in London and it states father was deaceased at time of marriage. I have always tried to stay clear of this side but mum and dad brought me this certificate so decided i had best do my dads mums side which he has been asking me to look at for 2 years but been wary because its scotland. Will see if i can get some credits and buy the birth certificate and possibly Alexanders (senior) death certificate.
                Jen

Comment

Jennie

No need to be wary of ScotlandsPeople, but you do have to tackle it a bit differently from England and Wales. Read up the WIKI first, and if you have any queries, come back. If you plan your search you can get a lot of info. for your £6, but it is easy to spend the odd £1 or two on a wrong entry.

A map of Scotland is also a help so you can picture where the places are. Broughty Ferry is now a suburb of Dundee and Darvel is a few miles east of Kilmarnock. One of my rellies was the minister there.
                  Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Thankyou for your help. I spent 2 hours on the phone last night to my auntie as my dad told me that she knew quite a lot of the family. Well i was amazed at what she could tell me she told me the parents that i was looking for and it is the Broughty Ferry family. She then told me where they moved to even knowing the address that i have on the marriage certificate and then occupations everything even the occupation that she told me matches up with the Broughty Ferry family. Going to still get some credits for Scotlands people though but maybe after christmas now when i have more time to sit and do the tree and to prove what i pencil in on the tree for this family.
                    Thankyou again for your help.
                    Jen

Comment

HI Jen

I've sent you a pm
                      WendyP

Comment

Thankyou very much for your pm Wendy.
                        Jen

Comment

Working...
                        X