Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finding the great nephews.

Hello everyone,

I'm not sure if I have asked about this before, if I have then please forgive me.

I have the will of Lucy Greasley. She died in Leicester on the 26th November 1862. She was a widow with no children.

She mentions her late niece Ann Willson (two l's) and the sons of the said late Ann Willson, William Gumley Willson, Frederick Edward Willson and Thomas Slater Willson.

However, I cannot find anything about any of these people.

Lucy's maiden name was Slater, and she was born in 1788 in Ashby De La Zouch, Leicestershire. She was the youngest of 9 children.

Siblings:

Mary, born 1762 married Samuel Wilson (one l) nothing further known.
    Elizabeth, born 1764 married Edward Grunley in 1785 nothing further known.
    Charlotte, born 1772 married William Storer in 1797. Died 1829. No children.
    Thomas, born 1774, nothing more known.
    Robert, born 1775, nothing more known.
    Catherine, born 1778, nothing more known.
    Sarah, born 1783 married Thomas Kirby in 1805. One daughter Charlotte Storer Kirby who is mentioned in Lucy's will.
    Ann, born 1785 married Matthew Shipley in 1806. Three children, only one daughter Catherine.

Any ideas? I know she might be her husbands niece, but the Grunley / Gumley bit leads me to think otherwise.

Thanks,

Tom

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

A long shot, 1851:

HO107; Piece: 2064; Folio: 91; Page: 1

Frederick with mother Ann.

Then Fred's marriage in the same district the following year:

Marriages Dec 1852
    Edwards Ann Atherstone 6d 475
    Willson Frederick Edward Atherstone 6d 475

??????????

Comment

Hmmmmm.....Fred and his mother doesn't seem to exist apart from the 1851 census. so maybe that means they ARE the right people!!! lol

Goodness knows about the others. Maybe Lucy was under the impression they used the various family surnames when they were not?

Comment

Could be Merry, thanks!

Unfortunately Appleby isn't on the IGI or Hugh Wallis :(

Can't see them obviously in 1841 yet though.

Remembering: Cuthbert Gregory 1889 - 1916, George Arnold Connelly 1886 - 1917, Thomas Lowe Davenport 1890 - 1917, Roland Davenport Farmer 1885 - 1916, William Davenport Sheffield 1879 - 1915, Cuthbert Gregory 1918 - 1944

Comment

Originally posted by Merry Monty Montgomery View Post
          Hmmmmm.....Fred and his mother doesn't seem to exist apart from the 1851 census. so maybe that means they ARE the right people!!! lol

Goodness knows about the others. Maybe Lucy was under the impression they used the various family surnames when they were not?

It is a bit odd, but the other people she mentions in her will, Charlotte Storer Vickers (maiden name Kirby) who was her niece and then her son as well, who she calls Benjamin Slater Vickers when he was actually called Benjamin John Vickers (that's if I have the right family for her, which I'm sure I am).

It's a mystery

Comment

I wonder whether they could have emigrated?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Tom View Post
              ... Charlotte Storer Vickers (maiden name Kirby) who was her niece and then her son as well ...
              The first time I read this I was quite confused!! :D

Tim
              "If we're lucky, one day our names and dates will appear in our descendants' family trees."

Comment

A long shot, but could this be one of your men?

WILLIAM HOCKIN GRIMLEY WILSON Pedigree
                Male

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Event(s):
                Birth:
                Christening: 19 SEP 1815 Appleby Magna, Leicester, England

Death:
                Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Parents:
                Father: WILLIAM WILSON Family
                Mother: ANN

Extracted birth or christening record for the locality listed in the record. The source records are usually arranged chronologically by the birth or christening date.

Source Information:
                Batch No.: Dates: Source Call No.: Type: Printout Call No.: Type:

C059711 1716 - 1876 0585293 Film 6903419 Film

And marriage

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

Marriages Dec 1842 (>99%)

Barlow Ann Ashby de la Z 15 39
                Beasley William Ashby de la Zouch 15 39
                BUCKLEY Ann Ashby de la Zouch 15 39
                NICHOLLS William Ashby de la Zouch 15 39
                Toone Thomas Ashby de la Zouch 15 39
                Whetton Mary Ashby de la Zouch 15 39
                Whitworth Elizabeth Ashby de la Zouch 15 39
                Willson William Hodgkin Grimley Ashby de la Zouch 15 39
                Jeanette
                Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

That's looking hopeful! The Ann and son Fred I posted earlier said they were both born in Appleby in Derbyshire, but there doesn't seem to be such a place! Maybe it should say Appleby Leicestershire?

Comment

Hi Merry

Looking at my trusty road map....well, squinting at it through a magnifying glass :o....Appleby Magna seems to be on the boarder between Derbyshire and Leicestershire.

Appleby also seems to ring a bell with me and I'm wondering if Tom has got more rellies from that area that might have come up in the Generation Game.
                    Jeanette
                    Don't interpret this smile as happiness; it's insanity! :D

Comment

is 1917 too late for the sons to get married? I can't figure it out. Just found two possibles but it's the dates I'm confused with.
                      Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Thanks Jeanette, that does look interesting.

Hi Jules, yes that is too late (unless there is something out of the ordinary). They are mentioned in the will in 1862.

I have a few connections to Appleby Jeanette but I haven't asked you about this line in the gen game.

Comment

have these got anything to do with your family further down the line... not much help to you at the moment, but maybe later ?

Ann Willson
                          Estimated Birth Year: abt 1837
                          Relation: Visitor
                          Where born: Ashby, Leicestershire, England
                          Civil Parish: Ashby Magna
                          County/Island: Leicestershire
                          Registration district: Lutterworth
                          Sub registration district: Lutterworth
                          ED, institution, or vessel: 20

Household Members: Name Age
                          Joseph Willson 43
                          Ann Willson 38
                          Ann Willson 14

1851 H.O.107/2078
                          Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Working...
                          X