X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AVG missing CTF File

I am getting this message when trying to update
    missing CTF file any ideas thanks

Val, I have just updated with no problems!
    I would just try again later...sometimes if the site is too busy, you get funny messages. They only allot one download site for the Free version.
    Have you been to the forum to see if anyone else is having the same problem?

Comment

h Lyn I got this yesterday all day too, will have a nosey on the forum thanks

Comment

Yep, i have an idea but i don't think you will like it much. It means delving into the AVG files on your pc and deleting the problem files.
        i don't use AVG now so don't ask me exactly where the files are (you might need to search your pc for their location).

Here goes;
        Some of the downloaded files are corrupt. You have to go into your Windows Explorer and delete the *.ctf temp files in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Avg8\update\download\ Don't delete the *.bin files as those are the ones that were compiled on previous updates.
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/50125734@N06/

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780
        My sledging hammer lies declined, my bellows too have lost their wind
        My fire's extinct, my forge decay'd, and in the dust my vice is laid

Comment

Glen, are they marked temp? I have some *.ctf in there, but none are mareked temp. Should I keep them or not?...BTW I don't have a promblem at the mo.

Comment

thanks Glen could I just uninstall it and reinstall it again instead

Comment

Originally posted by Lyn A View Post
              Glen, are they marked temp? I have some *.ctf in there, but none are mareked temp. Should I keep them or not?...BTW I don't have a promblem at the mo.
              as far as i know it is just the *temp files, i binned AVG before AVG8 came out so i haven't looked at the system folders, the earlier version failed to catch several trojans and in the end my old pc suffered a slow and painful death, well it was kinder (to my wallet) to let it die than pay for a new drive etc.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

Thanks Glen...will leave them for now, as I don't have the problem.

BTW...Notice that you havnae put on your Xmas nickers this year!!! LOL!!

Comment

Originally posted by Val wish Id never started View Post
                  thanks Glen could I just uninstall it and reinstall it again instead
                  it isn't gauranteed that you would remove all the associated links to the corrupted files, if you have a google (99% of these problems have been asked on assorted pc help forums before) then the answer i posted is given on several sites and rated as being a useful answer on every site it appears on.

Joseph Goulson 1701-1780

Comment

okay Glen thanks

Comment

Hi again I found a thread about this on AVGs forum and they had a link to uninstall those files in seconds have updated successfully now thanks again

Comment

Hiya Val,

Is it possible to put the link on here please - i cant find it..........Doh !
                        Jacky

Comment

AVG Free - FAQ
                          scroll down to a blue highlighted link which says deleteupdatefiles
                          its so quick you dont even notice it happening

Comment

Well done Val

Im still pleased Ive got the zone alarm suite though, it feels a lot safer somehow with all the extras.

Comment

Ooh - Well done Val - Thankyou for the link

Just done it ...;)
                              Jacky

Comment

glad to be of help for once makes a change.

Comment

nudged up for James scroll down and there is a link for it

Comment

Thanks for this link i'd been getting the same thing for 2 days, problem now sorted
                                    our Lancashire Lass will be real proud i did something on my own LOL. cheers

Trish x
                                    Researching -Bonney,Walker,Warren,Margison,Riley,Anders all Lancashire

Comment

yes I got that again had to use this link yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                                      X