BLACKPOOL - New Road Mission

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BLACKPOOL - New Road Mission

Does anyone know where the New Road Mission was, in Blackpool. It was there around 1916 and run by a Mr and Mrs R Singleton.

Is the entry at Rootsweb yours??? It was the only reference I could find.

Comment

I wonder if Blackpool Library is worth a try.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I see that there is a New Road in Lytham St Annes just south of Blackpool.
        Lytham st annes new road - Google Maps

However, a quick search on the 19th century British Libraries newspapers gives reference to New Road junction with Elizabeth Street and New Road junction with Wildman Street. Both of these are off Talbot Road. Perhaps this was formerly New Road?
        blackpool wildman street - Google Maps
        blackpool elizabeth street - Google Maps

EDIT:
        Yes, this site confirms it: "Blackpool Sanatorium opened in New Road (Talbot Road)"
        Welcome to VisitBlackpool - the one-stop site for tourist information and things to do in Blackpool. Book your stay and save on tickets when you buy online.

It may help when you make an inquiry at Blackpool.
        Last edited by keldon; 17-12-08, 15:09.
        Phil
        historyhouse.co.uk
        Essex - family and local history.

Comment

Thankyou everyone. The entry on Rootsweb /chat isn't mine, but possibly someone who I am in contact with as I have just passed over some information which states New Road.
          Enquiries were made at the Methodist Ministry in Blackpool before we had the name New Road and they couldn't come up with any information.

KELDON I think the one you mention in and around Talbot Road is the one, as my ancestor lived on Cheltenham Road and met her husband who lived just off Talbot Road at this mission house. Thankyou very much indeed I will follow this up.

Thanks

goodygumdrops

Comment

The entry on Rootsweb is from a book of Blackpool churches.

New Road Mission was at 248 Palatine Road. It was undenominational.

Comment

From what I remember of my Lancashire childhood, there was a Mission in just about every street!

They were mostly nondenominational and set up by worthy individuals, so one Mission wouldn't have any links with any other Mission unfortunately and there are not many records surviving of the smaller ones.

OC

Comment

Can anyone remember the early days of Coronation Street? The Mission that Ena Sharples looked after could have been one like that.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

wow ! Harrys mum thats great, at least now I have an address, but I think you are all correct and that it was probably run by a worthy individual. The sister of my grandmother, amongst other duties, played the organ there for 14 years, taught a young peoples group from which five became missionaries in Africa. She was also ran her own Ladies Tailoring business employing 4 other girls before heading for Canada to marry a Minister. Mr Singleton who ran the mission was a businessman so the worthy individual fits well.

Thanks to you all for your help.
                  A Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all

goodygumdrops

Comment

Working...
                  X