Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another 2 Dead Ends?

Hi all

I hope people dont mind me putting another of my brickwalls on here.

My great x 3 grandfather was Joseph Pope, born 1841 in Rawmarsh (Parkgate), near Rotherham, South Yorkshire. He was the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Pope nee Humphreys (later Lister after she married William Lister in 1847). I have Joseph right from the 51 census etc up to when he died.

Joseph named his father as Edward Pope on his marriage certificate and after digging around, found that Edward actually died aged 36 and was burried at St Mary's, Rawmarsh in 1836 so clearly not the father of Joseph or Joseph's brother John Pope born in 1838.

Because I have no further information on Edward Pope apart from his marriage in Wolverhampton in 1831 and his death in 1836, I would presume this line is now dead for me.

But, I have been trying to research my great x 4 grandma Elizabeth Humphreys with no joy at all. On her 1847 marriage cert to William, she names her father as Thomas Humphreys, Shoemaker...doesnt say deceased but I know that doesnt necessary mean he wasnt. All census show that Elizabeth was born Prees, Shropshire. With all ages at death, marriage in 47 and census, she was born 1809c.

I have tried the IGI for a baptism and the only possible I could see was a Ellina (I know, possibly clutching at straws here) Humphreys baptised in 1809 with a father named Thomas Humphreys. Mother is called Sarah.

I have found a Thomas and Sarah Humphreys on the 51 census still in Prees but Thomas' occupation is a blacksmith, not shoemaker. Also, Elizabeth married in Wolverhampton so I thought maybe the family had left Prees.

Would anyone be able to give me any help/advice/guidance on this one or should I accept that these two lines are probably now dead?

Kind Regards

Originally posted by Icklec View Post
    Hi all

I hope people dont mind me putting another of my brickwalls on here.

My great x 3 grandfather was Joseph Pope, born 1841 in Rawmarsh (Parkgate), near Rotherham, South Yorkshire. He was the illegitimate son of Elizabeth Pope nee Humphreys (later Lister after she married William Lister in 1847). I have Joseph right from the 51 census etc up to when he died.

Joseph named his father as Edward Pope on his marriage certificate and after digging around, found that Edward actually died aged 36 and was burried at St Mary's, Rawmarsh in 1836 so clearly not the father of Joseph or Joseph's brother John Pope born in 1838.

Because I have no further information on Edward Pope apart from his marriage in Wolverhampton in 1831 and his death in 1836, I would presume this line is now dead for me.

But, I have been trying to research my great x 4 grandma Elizabeth Humphreys with no joy at all. On her 1847 marriage cert to William, she names her father as Thomas Humphreys, Shoemaker...doesnt say deceased but I know that doesnt necessary mean he wasnt. All census show that Elizabeth was born Prees, Shropshire. With all ages at death, marriage in 47 and census, she was born 1809c.

I have tried the IGI for a baptism and the only possible I could see was a Ellina (I know, possibly clutching at straws here) Humphreys baptised in 1809 with a father named Thomas Humphreys. Mother is called Sarah.

I have found a Thomas and Sarah Humphreys on the 51 census still in Prees but Thomas' occupation is a blacksmith, not shoemaker. Also, Elizabeth married in Wolverhampton so I thought maybe the family had left Prees.

Would anyone be able to give me any help/advice/guidance on this one or should I accept that these two lines are probably now dead?

Kind Regards
    I know it is stretching the imagination a bit but horseshoemaker? The transition to or from blacksmith is not so great.
    Rose

Comment

Hi Rose

I hadnt thought of that. I know its stretching the imagination a little lol but I suppose it could be a possibility.

Regards

Comment

Theres always the possibility that the baptism you want isn't on the IGI.

Comment

I had thought of that Sue and feel that that is probably the case :(

Regards

Comment

Who were the witnesses at Elizabeth's two marriages, please?
            KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
            (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Hi Kiterunner

Sorry, I didnt see your question last night. Witnesses to Edward Pope/Elizabeth Humphreys marriage in 1831 were Martha Batho and John Biddulph (resident witness). Witnesses to Wiliam Lister/Elizabeth Pope marriage in 1847 were Unreadable first name Lister and J.Hudson (another resident witness).

Apart from Martha Batho whom I have no idea of, the other three witnesses were no connection at all to Edward or Elizabeth :(

Regards

Comment

Working...
              X