Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish birthplace query & missing persons 1901

Hi
    Margaret Patterson was born in Ireland c1858. She married Frederick Howard in 1890.
    In 1891 Margaret, husband Frederick & son Wilfred are living in West Ham.Essex.
    Margaret born c1859 Sandlands, Co Down Ireland.
    Frederick born c1865 South Benfleet Essex Railway station master
    Wilfred 3 months born West Ham
    Census ref RG12/1329/10/14
    In all previous census Margaret's birthplace is just Ireland so any help with "Sandlands" would be appreciated. I have searched and can't find a reference to it. I can't find the family in 1901 to see what she put for her pob.
    Many thanks
    Moggie
    Last edited by maudarby; 16-12-08, 14:25.

There are two baptisms listed on Birth Death Marriage Genealogy Records Ireland - Irish Family History Foundation for a Margaret Patterson 1859 Co Down.

It is a pay to view site, so I can't get any details, so I can't tell if it mentions Sandlands.
    Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Hi Wendy
      Thanks for the link. I have registered and done a couple of searches. There is a dropdown box with place names within County Down and nothing remotely looks like Sandlands.
      Moggie

Comment

Can't see a Sandlands in the Griffiths Valuation placename search. Could it be Saintfield? There were some Pattersons there when the valuation was prepared (1847-64). There's also a Sandy Island in Ballyculter parish.

Griffiths Valuation
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 16-12-08, 16:17.

Comment

Her birthplace just says Ireland on the 1901 (look for Wilfred G Howard born Upton Park to see the family.)
          KiteRunner

Every five years or so I look back on my life and I have a good... laugh"
          (Indigo Girls, "Watershed")

Comment

Have you got her father's name etc from her marriage cert?
            KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Mary many thanks for the link to Griffiths Valuation.

Hi Kite many thanks for finding them in 1901. I had tried seaching on surnames only, forenames only etc and still couldn't find them. I don't have her marriage cert but do know her parents names. Both were also born in County Down and I hoped the Sandlands name might enable me to find where they were born. I suppose it could just be the name of a farm, house, cottage etc.
              Moggie

Comment

Moggie, I'm just thinking if you know her father's name then it might help us to figure out if either of those entries on the IFHF site could be her - what was her father's name, please?
                KiteRunner

Comment

Hi Kite
                  Just got back from Xmas shopping and found the message you posted last night. I am not too bothered about finding a baptism/birth record for Margaret because as I said I know who her parents were. Seeing that Margaret put her pob in 1891 as Sandlands I thought it might give me a clue as to where her parents were born or perhaps married which is the main thing that I am looking for.
                  Thank you Mary for your suggestion that it could be Sandy Island. The enumerator may have copied it down wrong in his book or been unable to read the handwriting.
                  Margaret's parents were William Patterson & Eliza/beth Cooper, both born
                  c1834 in Ireland. County Down given in 1901 as birthplace for both. William was in the Royal Artillery and their 2nd child William was born 14th June 1862 at Woolwich, 3rd child Louisa born Dover and subsequent children born at Shoeburyness, Essex where the family can be found in 1871 at Shoeburyness Barracks. By 1871 William was a sergeant which makes me think that he had been in the army for several years. From pension records William (son born 1862) gave his religion as C of E so I presume his parents were also C of E. Would that have been the same as Church of Ireland in Irish records as opposed to Roman Catholic?
                  Moggie

Comment

Moggy, I was thinking if you could find Margaret's birth or baptism then it might tell you the full name of the place where she was born.
                    KiteRunner

Comment

Oh well, neither of those IFHF records have father's name as William.
                      KiteRunner

Comment

Church of Ireland is the equivalent of CofE here and therefore not RC.
                        Margaret

Comment

Hi Kite
                          Thanks for trying to find her.
                          Hi Margaret
                          Thanks for the info about the Church of Ireland, I thought it was the same as C of E but not absolutely certain.
                          Moggie

Comment

Working...
                          X